"Commercial Lines Underwriting Specialist"
Job Number: IW-5119
Position: Commercial Lines Underwriting Specialist (National Coordinator) - Head Office
Department: Commercial Lines Underwriting, Head Office
Location: Head Office, Downtown Toronto,Ontario
Growth. Opportunity. Success.
"Make a difference!" in your career.
The Dominion has been serving the insurance needs of Canadians for more than 100 years. Still 100% Canadian owned, today we are one ofCanada's largest property and casualty insurance companies. With offices acrossCanada, and nearly 1000 employees, we are proud to provide high quality home, automobile, and business insurance products to Canadians.
Our Head Office Commercial Lines Underwriting Department is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to join the team as a C/L Underwriting Specialist (National Coordinator) - Automobile in our Head Office, Downtown Toronto.
As the successful candidate, you will work with the Manager, Head Office C/L (Auto or Technical Development) and be responsible for creating and maintaining commercial lines underwriting guidelines, corporate wordings and other underwriting manuals. Through the referral process, you will assist the regions by finding fair and equitable insurance solutions for our customers. You will provide technical support to the regional commercial underwriting teams through referrals; creating and conducting technical underwriting training. In addition, the successful candidate will have the ability to evaluate and underwrite large and/or complex commercial risks, and research technical issues in order to develop recommendations/guidelines. The successful candidate will also display strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Co-ordinate the development and maintenance of Commercial Lines underwriting standards and products.
- Monitor, and make recommendations on commercial lines business, products and rating programs to support corporate objectives of profitability and growth.
- Provide technical support to regional underwriting departments.
- Work with a medium to high degree of autonomy.
- Monitors, and makes recommendations on commercial lines business, products and rating programs to support corporate objectives of profitability and growth. Acts as a consultant to both managers and underwriting staff on complex accounts.
- Assists with the co-ordination, development and maintenance of Commercial Lines underwriting standards and products to ensure that business opportunities are maximized.
- Participates as part of the Head Office File Review team by conducting Commercial Lines Underwriting audits. Assists with determining the need, focus and criteria for audits to ensure that profitability, growth objectives and adherence to corporate underwriting standards and guidelines are maintained.
- Perform analyses of results by line, class of business and target markets and make recommendations for change in underwriting direction/philosophy to support regional/corporate profitability and growth.
- Performs other duties, as required to support corporate commercial lines objectives.
SKILL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Education: College diploma in a business related field, OR CIP Designation.
Experience: Five years progressive commercial lines underwriting experience including C/L Auto experience or a combination of education/experience.
- Ability to evaluate and underwrite large and/or complex commercial risks in all lines of business
- High level of expertise in commercial products and policy wordings, ability to research technical issues and develop specific and broad based recommendations and guidelines
- Auditing skills; project management skills
- Knowledge of political and business environments and the ability to relate these to underwriting and insurance issues
- Knowledge of competitors and the insurance market
- Knowledge of company/broker relationships and the ability to apply this knowledge to the underwriting of a risk.
- Computer literate (i.e. PMS, word processing, spreadsheets).
- Ability to work well with people.
- Superior influencing and negotiation skills.
Performance Skills: Technical ability, decision making, spoken and written communications.
If you see yourself as a fit for this role and for our team, we invite you to apply online through InsuranceWorks
through our company website at www.thedominion.ca with subject line “C/L National Coordinator”.
We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.