Our client, an independent insurance company and top employer, is seeking an experienced Underwriter for their Vancouver team.
The Underwriter role is responsible for achieving profit and underwriting objectives for specified book/portfolio of business, complying with/conforming to Branch and Corporate policies, measures and standards for underwriting, customer service, profitability, productivity and financial management.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain effective business results and mutually trustworthy tri-lateral working relations with insureds and brokers by aligning brand identity, equity core values, objectives, missions and current programs with the needs of customer groups in different faiths and related non-profit organizations.
- Design and deliver underwriting products that meet standards for customer satisfaction, profit, use of capital, people, systems and risk.
- Manage risk through accurate analysis and diagnosis and the development of sound specifications.
- Detect, investigate and diagnose exposures and to avoid/minimize their business effects: underwriting coverage, pricing, production and delivery, risk management.
- Manage brokers, including performance monitoring, new appointments and cancellations.
- Develop business, including marketing initiatives through working relationships with brokers, insureds, local authorities, and local business and community associations
Skills, Education, Knowledge and Experience:
- University degree or college diploma or equivalent insurance experience
- CIP designation complete or in progress
- Underwriting: Experience: 2-7 years of commercial property and casualty underwriting
- Overall experience/exposure to financial management methods, the nature of insurance risk and reinsurance costs, underwriting, claims underwriting and reinsurance
- Working within and demonstrable proficiency in underwriting basic to moderately complex books of commercial property and casualty products, including underwriting coverage, pricing, production and delivery, risk management and managing local brokerage plans
- Knowledge and applied experience in connecting personal results to the management of loss ratios, gross written and earned premium
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making abilities to form effective underwriting recommendations for moderately complex situations
- Sound technical judgment
- Organize and complete own work in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational, negotiating and interpersonal skills
- Sound negotiating, marketing and advocating skills
- Highly motivated and able to work as a team player, or independently
Interested candidates please contact Jen Duff at 778-383-9790 ext 103 or forward your resume in confidence to email@example.com. If you are working with another DGA Recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position.
Founded in 1986, DGA Careers specializes in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. DGA Careers assists qualified professionals in claims, underwriting, sales, customer service, and more, connect with the Canadian insurance industry at all levels. We endeavour to respond to each applicant in a timely manner.