Reporting to the Director, Claims the main purpose of this position is to manage Surety and Warranty business lines to ensure claims are properly investigated, evaluated, and resolved within the company's contractual and legal obligations, while ensuring timely service and appropriate payments to claimants and policyholders. This is a national level role that will establish claims leadership and technical guidance in areas of surety and warranty through direct claims handling and examining as well as oversight of claims managed in outsourcing arrangements.
The position involves effectively managing claims including complex files and requires interaction and collaboration with underwriting colleagues as well as with external business partners including brokers, engineers, contractors, service vendors, external counsel and provincial regulators.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Actively participate in surety and warranty claims handling through methods of direct handling and claims examining in collaboration with business partners with minimal supervision by claims management.
- Analyze, investigate, evaluate, negotiate and settle surety and warranty of claims at meetings, conferences, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trial and trial.
- Comply with all operational policies, procedures, controls and performance standards in order to adhere to all regulatory requirements and customer service standards.
- Be accountable for accurate documentation and information inputted in claim file and bond claim database and adhere to claim documentation standards with respect to analysis, reserve and settlement rationale.
- Prepare reports to management that accurately reflect loss development, potential/actual financial exposure, coverage issues and claim and recovery strategies,
- Provide recommendations on broader changes to policies and protocols for improvement.
- Proactively optimize pre-loss recovery opportunities through indemnitors and collateral.
- Identify and coordinate recovery efforts.
- As required, recommend and retain, monitor, manage and approve payments to legal counsel and consultants on warranty and surety claims.
- Keep abreast of warranty, surety and construction statutes, regulations, case law and trends in the industry.
- Participating in extended hours duties as required.
- Advise underwriting of any information gathered which may affect risk assessment.
- Providing strategic direction for the Surety and Warranty business lines in support of the claims business groups and company's larger objectives while working closely with the Director, Claims as well as others in the management team.
- Providing direction and developing staff and third party administrators to ensure that they have sufficient knowledge and skill to resolve claims timely and equitably.
- Conduct claims reviews and audits with corresponding reporting and development of action plans as necessary.
- Coordination, oversight and/or conduct associated with necessary claim due diligence and/or audits related to the evaluation, claims handling and management within an outsourcing arrangement or model.
- Communicating operational policies, procedures and performance standards to staff to ensure compliance with all regulatory and customer service standards.
- Develop, manage and maintain claims services agreements with third party administrators as required.
- Directing and controlling establishment of appropriate claim case reserves to ensure future costs are accurately assessed and the company can assess its financial position.
- Maximizing the utilization of company loss and expense saving programs while directing and monitoring the use of outside vendors to ensure quality service and cost effectiveness.
- Driving claims and litigation strategies.
- Proactive optimization of recovery opportunities, identification of potential sources of recovery and to ensure salvage and subrogation opportunities are identified and pursued to minimize claim losses.
- Participating and leading tactical and strategic projects within the claims department and the larger company structure.
- Developing, maintaining and sharing knowledge of losses involving high exposure and sensitivity, claim trends and developments, legal decisions and issues that may impact product lines, underwriting philosophy and pricing as well as client/market intelligence with senior management, claims colleagues, underwriters and actuaries.
- Support all marketing and client/customer service initiatives.
- Participating in procurement and management activities related to vendor management.
- Collaborating with stakeholders to develop and communicate best practices, conduct process assessment and identify areas for efficiency gains.
- Participating in extended hours duties as required.
- Travel is a requirement for this position.
- Additional duties and special projects as assigned.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of five (5) years claims experience in areas of construction and surety.
- University degree, CIP/FCIP or actively working towards it.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Claims experience and knowledge in Surety and Warranty lines of business
- Understanding of the construction industry in Canada including familiarity with construction, construction contracts, tendering, project management, scheduling, contract accounting, and construction related legislation and regulations.
- Strong analytical, organization and time management skills.
- Ability to identify required resources and workflow issues and manage them in a way to achieve desired outcomes.
- Strong and effective negotiation skills.
- Exceptional team player yet capable of operating independently.
- Ability to bring resources together to achieve desired objectives and outcomes.
- Proficiency in French and familiarity with the Quebec Civil Code would be considered an asset.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume to email@example.com.
Echelon Insurance is committed to providing accommodation throughout the interview and employment process. Should you require any accommodation please let Human Resources know so that we can accommodate your individual accessibility needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.