One of Canada’s largest Insurance companies us looking for an Executive Underwriter for their casualty department. Together with the Director of Casualty you will establish and maintain the national underwriting framework for the casualty line of business. Responsibilities include establishing guidelines, wordings and product development. You will also provide governance through review of the existing portfolio and conducting file audits. You will be expected to provide technical guidance and insight to solve highly complex problems with portfolio impact and support the team as required.
Title: Executive Underwriter – Casualty
Location: Toronto, Downtown
- Using your technical Casualty underwriting background, good insurance marketplace intelligence, awareness of regulatory and compliance requirements, competitive positioning and company operations and procedures, you will be;
- Assist in the successful management and pricing for Commercial General Liability, Umbrella, Excess liability, as well as the Small Business and Mid-market Non-profit Directors & Officers (D & O) and Errors & Omissions (E & O) portfolios.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge and understanding of the insurance marketplace, regulatory and compliance requirements, competitive positioning and company operations and procedures.
- Understand and apply best business practices towards compliance, internal control and operational risk controls in accordance to national standards and regulatory standards and policies.
- Collaborate and support profit centre underwriting teams.
- Mentor and train less experienced underwriters and support staff.
- Provide input to various underwriting, strategic, staffing and other issues as requested including industry committees.
- Work collaboratively on special projects, business transformation initiatives and assignments requiring advanced technical skills and knowledge when required.
- 5 + years’ experience underwriting commercial casualty
- Completion of CIP/FCIP or in progress
- Post-secondary education and/or equivalent on the job experience.
- Well-developed research skills with a project driven focus along with project delivery experience
- Experience working with policy wordings strongly preferred
- Advanced working proficiency with Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Power Point and Excel)
- Broad knowledge and understanding of underwriting disciplines and pricing models
- Strong working knowledge of underwriting philosophies, policy contracts, rating programs, risk information sources, underwriting/technical manual information, statuary constraints, and computer workflow procedures
- Strong problem solving abilities
- Strong written communication skills required
- Self-starter with strong relationship management skills
Competitive Salary, Bonus, Benefits, Pension, Stock options, flexible schedule.
Interested candidates please contact Maurice Reichberg at 416.868.6711 x.232 or forward your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position.
Founded in 1986, DGA Careers specializes in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. DGA Careers assists qualified professionals in claims, underwriting, sales, customer service, and more, connect with the Canadian insurance industry at all levels. We endeavor to respond to each applicant in a timely manner.