I am working with a large Canadian insurer looking for a Senior Underwriter or Underwriting Specialist with commercial Underwriting experience in Construction and contracting. This is an established profitable company that is continuing to expand in the Canadian marketplace.
Title: Underwriting Specialist (Construction)
- Implement company guidelines with respect to rate and exposure, retention and rate adequacy
- Ensure profitability by successful evaluation, documentation, selection, negotiation, and pricing for assigned policies
- Analyze New Business, Endorsement, Renewals and cancellations to ensure profitability and assess exposures
- Review trends and developments, identify areas of concerns and suggest recommendations for improvements
- Participate in audits as required.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge and understanding of company operations and procedures.
- Ensure broker relationships are maintained through regular interactions, in order better understand target markets and maintain quality of service
- Ensure regular communication and education of brokers concerning the corporate underwriting philosophy, policies, and procedures as required.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends, developments, and regulatory changes
- Identify opportunities to establish relationships with new brokers
- Train and mentor junior staff as required
- Provide support staff with clear instructions and explanations for data entry to ensure accuracy and service standards are maintained.
- Provide input on peer file reviews and audits
- Provide support to junior staff on risks outside for their authority level
- Assist in developing Underwriting guidelines and procedures.
- 5 plus years of Commercial Construction Underwriting Experience (COC experience is an asset)
- Post-secondary education preferred
- CIP/FCIP completed or in progress
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience training/mentoring junior staff
- Knowledge of underwriting philosophy, contracts, rating, manuals, and procedures.
- Strong PC skills including email, internet and Microsoft Office
Compensation: Competitive salary, bonus, benefits, pension plan
Interested candidates please contact Maurice Reichberg at 416.868.6711 x.232 or forward your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position.
Founded in 1986, DGA Careers specializes in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. DGA Careers assists qualified professionals in claims, underwriting, sales, customer service, and more, connect with the Canadian insurance industry at all levels. We endeavour to respond to each applicant in a timely manner.