I am working with a large Canadian insurer looking for an Underwriting Specialist with Transportation Underwriting experience. This individual will be responsible for underwriting and servicing increasingly complex accounts in accordance with established guidelines and business objectives in the achievement of national standards for data quality and service levels.
Title: Underwriting Specialist (Transportation)
Location: Downtown Toronto
- Implement renewal rate and exposure, retention, and rate adequacy guidelines.
- Responsible for the successful evaluation, documentation, selection, negotiation, and pricing for assigned policies
- Refer and redirect requests for pricing decision and risk selection
- Ensure endorsements, renewals, reissues, and cancellations are reviewed and analyzed
- Analyze new business for risk profitability
- Monitor trends and developments identifying areas of concern regarding loss ratios, risk trends, or other discrepancies.
- Assist in the price monitoring, risk selection and data quality performance reviews.
- Understand and apply best business practices towards compliance, internal control and operational risk controls
- Participate in audits as required.
- Maintain working knowledge of all Information Systems/Programs within underwriting and analyze/recommend improvements to work processes and procedures.
- Identifies, investigates, and develops new business/expansion opportunities
- Evaluates, selects and establishes/negotiates proper rate and ITV levels for risks in order to ensure a profitable book of business within established underwriting guidelines.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge and understanding of company operations and procedures
- Develop and maintain a professional relationship with brokers and/or customers
- Investigate customers’ risk factors relative to corporate pricing approach
- Provide quality customer service to assigned brokers
- Forge new business relationships and solicit new business opportunities.
- Mentor and train less experienced underwriters and support staff.
- Provide training, development, and technical guidance to colleagues regarding products, systems, and processes as required.
- Assist in developing Underwriting guidelines and procedures.
- 5+ years of experience in Transportation and Logistics underwriting
- Post-secondary education preferred
- CIP/FCIP/CRM completed or in progress
- Knowledge of underwriting philosophy, contracts, rating, manuals, and procedures.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Strong conflict resolution skills; ability to influence decisions and gain agreement and/or support on sensitive issues
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) along with strong presentation skills
- Ability to attend to infrequent travel to visit clients, brokers, industry events and attend off-site training workshops
Compensation: Competitive salary, bonus, benefits, pension plan
Interested candidates please contact Maurice Reichberg at 416.868.6711 x.232 or forward your resume in confidence to email@example.com. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position.
Founded in 1986, DGA Careers specializes in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. DGA Careers assists qualified professionals in claims, underwriting, sales, customer service, and more, connect with the Canadian insurance industry at all levels. We endeavour to respond to each applicant in a timely manner.