Manager, Claims & Finance
Competitive Salary, Bonus, Pension and Full Health Benefits
About the company:
Our client offers a full range of insurance solutions including comprehensive general liability, property, vehicle insurance and group benefits. Our Subscribers include electrical utilities, municipalities, small hydro and gas generation, telecommunications, fiber optics and water distribution. More than thirty years into our story, we are one of the most successful reciprocal insurance exchanges in existence today.
The organization will focus efforts on innovation, growth and long-term sustainability.
Services include: property/casualty insurance, group benefits, credit insurance, human resource services, trades/executive/professional and management training and a variety of financial and business solutions – all targeted expressly to the electricity sector.
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance & Claims Services, the incumbent is responsible overseeing budget and month end financial statement preparation. The Manager is also responsible for overseeing activities in the claims department arising out of the Liability, Vehicle and Property insurance programs.
As a member of the management team, provides input in the development of objectives of the Department and supervises the Claims Adjuster, Claims Administrator and Accounting Administrator.
- Oversees preparation of monthly financial statements including various supporting schedules
- Approves all accounts receivable and accounts payable transactions including banking, investments and cash flow management
- Oversees budget preparation, analysis and monitoring
- Prepares and submits regulatory taxation and other corporate filings
- Manages the internal claims management process including working with reinsurers
- Manages customer expectations and satisfaction regarding claims adjusting
- Settles claims within authority level and recommends appropriate course of action in excess of authority to the Vice President
- Manages on-site claims-related investigations
- Oversees litigation management to achieve best possible resolution
- Works with the Vice President to formulate, support and implement long-term strategies for the department
- Oversees and manages work carried out by staff and external consultants
- Develops and manages the unit’s budget
- Other duties as assigned
- Post secondary education with major in accounting, finance, business
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or working towards
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- 5+ years finance experience
- Knowledge of electricity sector an asset
- Knowledge of the insurance sector an asset
- Experience/knowledge of claims adjusting an asset
- Knowledge of contract & tort law (claims acts, regulations & policies, etc.) an asset
- Supervisory experience including developing and motivating staff
- Practical experience using a financial accounting system (i.e. ACCPAC) required
- Good investigation and problem solving skills (i.e. dealing with fraud, serious loses, etc.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Motivated, high energy team player
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office suite)
- Professional office environment
- Irregular business hours may apply
- Travel within Ontario as required
Interested candidates, please contact Otis Wong at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, please feel free to ask them about this position.
Founded in 1986, DGA Careers specializes in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. DGA Careers assists qualified professionals in claims, underwriting, sales, customer service, and more, connect with the Canadian insurance industry at all levels. We endeavour to respond to each applicant in a timely manner