Responsible for the direct supervision, management and motivation of the reinsurance underwriting staff. The Director is expected to provide accurate and timely appraisal of facultative reinsurance cases, participate in business development initiatives and implement up to date underwriting practices and maintain client relationships.
Job Title: Director of Underwriting, Life Insurance
Location: GTA (Work from Home)
- Manage daily operation of Facultative Underwriting and Support Area, interacting with senior underwriters, Underwriting Technical Lead and Support Staff administrators as needed.
- Responsible for mentoring the underwriting staff to ensure the expectations of the client are met. Communicates effectively with clients and coordinates client service requests.
- Monitor work-related production and performance for all underwriter levels to ensure the Fac UW team maintains corporate goals and client expectations.
- Provide second signature review on cases exceeding Manager & Director level approval authority, up to the pool maximum automatic binding authority.
- Serve as a mentor to Facultative UW staff members during their interactions/negotiations with client companies.
- Interact with client companies to develop customized programs (both company and client generated), revise underwriting requirements and help provide solutions to highly sensitive underwriting-related issues.
- Serves as an underwriting contact for actuarial in the pricing process and handles coordinating policy issues for reinsurance clients in the absence of the Vice President Underwriting.
- Ongoing participation in developing and monitoring underwriting guidelines for Life C.I. and potentially D.I. Compiling procedures and guidelines to aid in the development of the company underwriting procedures manual and company client database.
- University Degree and or relevant experience
- 7+ years of underwriting experience and 4+ years in a senior position with an authority level of at least $10 million
- FLMI and FALU designations or equivalent
- Experience in direct and reinsurance companies
- Proficient in evaluating significantly medical impaired and or financially complex cases.
- Comfortable designing and giving presentations
- In-depth knowledge of life and living benefit insurance (C.I. and D.I.) products and services
- Strong decision-making ability and leadership skills
- Demonstrated successful track record working with sales and actuarial professionals, and other company underwriters
- Detailed understanding of Markets and Customers
- Ability to work effectively with all levels & disciplines of internal and external organization
- Demonstrated commitment to exceptional service & ability to use internal experts to achieve goals
- Ability to develop and maintain access to influential contacts within client companies and manage external client relationships
- Experience in improving productivity, quality, and reducing expenses.
- Ability to identify problems, recommend viable solutions and assist in implementation of same
- Lead and manage ongoing business improvement processes
- Proactive communication to underwriting management regarding any pertinent issues
- Some Knowledge of French is preferred
Competitive salary, bonus, benefits and pension plan
Interested candidates please contact Maurice Reichberg at 416.868.6711 x.232 or forward your resume in confidence to email@example.com. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position.
Founded in 1986, DGA Careers specializes in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. DGA Careers assists qualified professionals in claims, underwriting, sales, customer service, and more, connect with the Canadian insurance industry at all levels. We endeavour to respond to each applicant in a timely manner.