Our dynamic Claims Operations team is looking for an experienced National Claims Specialist to join our highly respected team. Our ideal candidate will be an expert in claims examining, including monitoring claims in legal proceedings, negotiating and settling claims, as well as providing support, training and mentoring to more junior team members. The position will also require internal and external auditing. If you have a passion for problems solving, a keen sense of urgency and take great pride in providing exemplary customer service this could be the opportunity for you! This position may be based at our Sovereign offices in Toronto, ON or Calgary, AB.
- Examine all varieties of claims including; commercial property, casualty, cargo, auto, energy, E&O/D&O, Cyber, Equipment Breakdown, excess
- Investigate claims as assigned within authority and provide control and direction to adjusters, vendors, and solicitors to ensure adjusting standards and litigation protocols are adhered to
- Review and interpret insurance policy wordings and loss information
- Demonstrate an extensive knowledge of; insurance coverages, claims handling procedures, investigation methods, negotiation tactics
- Refer claims in excess of authority to the Claims Manager or appropriate broader team member
- Establish and report reserves; indemnity and expenses, within established guidelines
- Complete Major Loss Reports as required
- Process payments, recoveries and reserve changes
- Provide information and report on claims trends
- Foster and maintain positive relationships with all internal and external contacts including underwriting teams, broker partners and vendors
- Demonstrate a commitment to alternative and inspired dispute resolution
- Attend mediations, settlement conferences and court proceedings when necessary
- Attend insured/broker meetings and provide claims presentations as required
- Assist Claims Manager as needed
- Minimum 10 years commercial claims experience
- Exceptional interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Experience with supervision and leadership of teams is an asset
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Commitment to provide exceptional customer service
- Ability to self-manage; organize and maintain quality control over own work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- CIP/FCIP designation is an asset
- Experience working with Guidewire is an asset
- Some travel may be required
Your Next Steps:
To learn more about the impact you can make, apply to join Sovereign’s talented team of professionals and stand out from the crowd!
Apply by email at email@example.com
*Please state the job title in your email subject line.
The successful candidate shall be subject to a Criminal Record and Consumer History background check as a condition of employment.
Application Deadline: January 9, 2019
The Sovereign General Insurance Company is a trusted source of risk solutions for Canadian businesses. Operating in six offices across Canada, Sovereign is a leader in empowered underwriting in commercial and specialty insurance operations. Sovereign is proud to carry an AM Best A- (Excellent) rating and to be recognized once again with Aon Hewitt Gold Level Best Small and Medium Employers in Canada for 2017. Canadian owned and operated since 1953, Sovereign is a part of The Co?operators group of companies, a leading Canadian provider of multi-line insurance products with assets of more than $14.5 billion.
Why Choose Sovereign?
We provide a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, and encourage a positive work/life balance.
- We help you maximize your potential through ongoing training and educational opportunities.
- We focus on our people as our most important resource, the knowledge, expertise, creativity and empowerment of our insurance professionals sets us apart.
For more information about Sovereign, please visit: Sovereign Insurance
The Co-operators group of companies is committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of employment barriers and discrimination. Accommodations will be made for qualified applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. If you receive a request for an interview and you have a disability which will require an accommodation to support your participation, please consult with the hiring manager as soon as practical so that suitable accommodations can be arranged.