Sovereign Insurance is looking for an Underwriter, or Senior Underwriter, to support our Technology/Cyber and Professional Lines team. The successful candidate will possess an entrepreneurial spirit and the business acumen required to contribute to the growth of the Technology/Cyber and Professional Lines department in Montreal. With your unique blend of skills and abilities, along with the support and mentorship provided by industry leading professionals you will succeed in making your mark on the Technology/Cyber and Professional Lines insurance industry in Canada.
- Conduct analysis to determine risk on new business, renewals and endorsements contacting external resources as required for additional information.
- Make recommendations for or against coverage based on the risk rating.
- Negotiate coverage and rates with clients, referring business exceeding authority level to the appropriate level.
- Complete rating and reinsurance worksheets as required and prepare quotes.
- Participate in developing a team-oriented approach to meeting Corporate goals and objectives including written premium and profitability objectives.
- Participate actively with brokers in terms of promoting products, developing and maintaining positive relationships and business development.
- Monitor broker results and act accordingly.
- Provide advice, guidance and training to less experienced underwriting staff.
- Participate in meetings, seminars and projects as required.
- Prepare reports, information and presentations as required.
- Undertake any other related duties as assigned.
- 3 to 6 years (or more) Underwriting experience; preference given to experience with exposure to the Technology/Cyber and Professional Lines areas.
- CIP/FCIP preferred or current enrollment.
- Strong negotiation, decision-making and time management capabilities.
- Advanced technical proficiency and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Superior interpersonal skills to support our business development initiatives.
- Proven self-starter able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience in development and enhancement of broker relations.
- Adaptable to a changing environment.
Your Next Steps:
To learn more about the impact you can make, apply to join Sovereign’s talented team of professionals and stand out from the crowd!
Apply by email at careers.HR@sovgen.com
*Please state the job title in your email subject line.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2019
Sovereign General Insurance is one of the major insurers in Canada, dealing exclusively with independent brokers. It is also a member of The Co-operators Group of Companies, giving it access to resources one would expect from a leading Canadian owned multi-product insurance company. The company emphasizes an innovative and entrepreneurial approach, endowing its staff with a sufficient level authority to be responsive regionally to the needs of brokers and customers.
Why Choose Sovereign?
- We provide a comprehensive compensation and benefit package, and encourage a positive work/life balance.
- We help you maximize your potential through ongoing training and educational opportunities.
- We focus on our people as our most important resource, the knowledge, expertise, creativity and empowerment of our insurance professionals sets us apart.
For more information about Sovereign, please visit www.sovereigngeneral.com
The Co-operators group of companies are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of employment barriers and discrimination. Accommodations will be made for qualified applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. If you receive a request for an interview and you require an accommodation to support your participation, please consult with the hiring manager as soon as practical so that suitable accommodations can be arranged.