Unica Insurance committed to providing a diverse, inclusive work environment free of all forms of discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in pursuing a job opportunity with Unica Insurance and require accommodation, please advise us so that we can work with you to provide suitable accommodation in the recruitment and selection process.
We are looking for an extraordinarily passionate, self-motivated and accomplished leader to join our Commercial team. This person will require a number of soft skills to champion a highly motivated team of underwriters that are very career driven and therefore performance and results focused. Furthermore, our unique commercial strategy is evolving and our strategic focus must be advanced with skill and ease to foster the desired change for both team and Broker partners.
Summary of Role & Responsibilities:
- Champion strategies that sustain the profitable growth of Unica's Commercial Lines department
- Provide technical expertise to mid-market property/casualty and automobile underwriters
- Negotiate and design individual KPI’s that contribute to the overall commercial strategies and objectives
- Identify means to close gaps and manage by objective
- Perform Quality Control audits
- Identify training opportunities for both underwriter and team
- Obtain and analyze industry trends in order to keep Unica current and relevant in the market
- Work within a Technical Committee to identify system improvements and relevant underwriting guidelines
- Build strong inter-department relationships that fosters Unica’s corporate culture
- Any other duties as required
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Passionate about developing career minded individuals
- Equally passionate about teaching individuals how to work as a talented and skilled team
- Proven commercial underwriting experience, both property/casualty and automobile lines
- Firm understanding of underwriting principles, concepts and methodologies in a commercial environment
- Working knowledge of commercial rates and pricing to effectively underwrite and attract target business.
- Natural tendency to solve problems and resolve challenges
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Open minded with strong negotiation skills
- Computer skills that enable independent management of a variety of programs
- Superior customer service and business acumen
- Leadership skills that include instinctive coaching and mentorship
Education and Experience:
- University / College degree
- CIP designation
- CRM & FCIP designation(s), an asset
- Minimum 5 years of Property/Casualty and Automobile Underwriting Experience.
- Prior experience in a Management role is an asset