TITLE: Senior Automobile Production Underwriter
LOCATION: Unica Insurance
DEPARTMENT: Commercial Insurance
REPORTS TO: Director, Commercial Insurance
Unica Insurance is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive work environment free of all forms of discrimination, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in pursuing a job opportunity with Unica Insurance and require accommodation, please advise us so that we can work with you to provide suitable accommodation in the recruitment and selection process.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and ambitious individual with a desire to make a significant growth and profit contribution to our Commercial Automobile Department. This position will be responsible for underwriting, assessing, evaluating, loss analysis, rating and issuance of all mid-market New Business within your assigned areas of accountability in accordance with our corporate guidelines and objectives.
You will also be responsible for training and coaching junior staff and demonstrating an exemplary level of broker service at all times. You will work closely with the property casualty Production Underwriters to develop and maintain positive business relationships with our broker partners.
- Produce and underwrite new business fleet and garages lines of business on a profitable basis, within service standards in accordance with company guidelines and within assigned underwriting authority.
- Ensure all new business policies are issued within service standards with the appropriate wordings, schedules, documentation and certificates attached.
- Record underwriting information for the purpose of evaluation (audit), assessment, and profitability.
- Negotiate facultative reinsurance terms and process as required, within assigned authority and maintain facultative closings and certificates.
- Assist with training, coaching and mentoring of other junior staff members as required.
- Communicate results, outstanding issues or opportunities to the Director of Commercial Insurance.
- Develop and maintain strong broker relationships through regular broker visits with the Production Underwriter or Director to promote Unica products and drive sales targets.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- 8+ years of experience in Commercial Automobile underwriting including senior level experience in this area.
- Strong product knowledge and the ability to make sound underwriting decisions while managing mid-market, complex accounts.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, excellent time management and organizational skills and strong negotiation and sales skills.
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.
- Accountability, customer-centric thinking, teamwork and a commitment to service excellence.
- Enjoy working with our broker partners to establish professional relationships to achieve our growth and profit goals.
- Professional, friendly, and courteous in all interactions with external and internal customers. Computer literacy is required with strong working knowledge of Microsoft products and with the company operating system.
- Possess a valid Ontario driver’s licence and be capable of completing company travel as required.
- A University/College Diploma or equivalent is required, as well as completion of or working towards CIP/FCIP designation.