At Sovereign Insurance, we believe your experience matters. This is our promise to not only our clients but to our employees as well, because we know the strength of our company starts with our people. The smart, curious and collaborative people who bring their whole heart and passion to work each day. But you can’t pour from an empty cup; we take care of the well-being of our people so that they are inspired to protect Canadian businesses and the lives, families and communities we impact. Join us and begin shaping your experience at Sovereign.
Our Claims team is looking for an in-house expert to enhance our Surety claims practice in Toronto. This role will manage moderate to complex claims from inception to settlement within their authority. Offering best practice advice to underwriting or claims staff as it relates to Surety policies, focusing on continuously improving our claims handling and delivery of our client value proposition.
What you’re responsible for:
- Handling Surety claims that are assigned from inception to settlement, including interpreting wording, determining loss, reporting reserves, contacting external parties and working closely with counsel through mediation, settlement conferences or court proceedings as required.
- Providing direction to and managing external adjusters, appraisers, solicitors/counsel or other vendors to ensure adjusting standards and litigation protocols are adhered to and are progressing in a timely manner.
- Acting as an internal technical resource to others and leading the development and implementation of best practices, internal guidelines or procedures, including governance for the Surety Claims handling and litigation process.
- Partnering with Underwriting in building and maintaining partnerships with distribution channels, including conducting claims presentations.
What to expect:
- You will travel occasionally.
- You will provide support to clients who are experiencing a personal or financial loss. A high degree of confidentiality and discretion is required.
- You will be subject to a Criminal Record and Consumer History background check as a condition of employment, in the event you are the successful candidate.
To be successful:
- You thrive on delivering our exceptional client experience through positive and engaging relationships; embracing accountability to achieve effective results.
- You ensure your day to day actions are in harmony with the company’s purpose, vision, and values even when challenged.
- You will support and guide others through changing conditions and encourage the exploration of new opportunities or innovations.
- You value cooperative and collaborative dialogue because diverse perspectives offer more creative and productive solutions.
To join our team:
- Minimum 10 Years Claims Experience, preferably in Surety.
- LLB is an asset (Insurance or financial service defense litigation experience an asset).
- CIP/FCIP Designation is an asset.
- Active Adjuster License (where required provincially).
- Extensive knowledge of insurance coverages, settlement methods, procedures, investigation methods, creative negotiation tactics and file management.
- Experience working with Guidewire is an asset.
What we Offer:
- The opportunity to take on challenging work and contribute your expertise, creativity, and passion in meaningful ways.
- A comprehensive total rewards package, including competitive salary, bonus, paid time off, pension and benefits.
- A holistic approach to your well-being, with physical and mental health programs and flexible work options.
- The opportunity to work on an inclusive team who inspire each other to explore and achieve what’s possible.
- An organizational commitment to sustainability and charitable giving; positively impacting the social, environmental and economic well-being of Canadian businesses, families and communities.