South Western Insurance Group Ltd. (SWG) is a Wholesale Insurance Intermediary / Managing General Agent offering a broad range of insurance solutions for specialty, niche, program and Insurance needs that require innovative solutions. Since 1961 we have proudly provided underwriting expertise to independent insurance brokers across Canada.
SWG operates from offices located in Toronto, Quebec & Vancouver.
We have earned a reputation for excellence in underwriting, risk management and customer service. We are continuously perfecting the way we do business and are satisfied with nothing less than the absolute highest level of service. SWG’s Vision is “To be the preferred Canadian Wholesaler based on superior service and underwriting excellence delivered by knowledgeable staff”.
About the Opportunity
The Senior Underwriter/Team Leader will be accountable for overseeing the day-to-day activities and performance management of a team of underwriters. This includes providing advice and expertise related South Western Group’s Commercial Liability programs.
Responsibilities & what you’ll be doing:
- Lead, develop and mentor a team of Underwriters and Technical Analysts;
- Support and coach the team in underwriting investigations;
- Establish and maintain a performance management and coaching culture by developing and managing to established KPIs;
- Present solutions and advice as a subject matter expert in the area of commercial liability underwriting;
- Participate in annual business planning, resource planning and goal setting exercises;
- Quote new business by assessing the risk, pricing, choosing the appropriate company, preparing final quote and sending it to the broker;
- Write new business by following up on quotes, sending binders, obtaining all required original documents and signatures and issuing the policy;
- Issue renewals by re-underwriting with up-dated information obtained from Broker and then pricing, offering and issuing the policy;
- Produce policy changes and endorsement by underwriting, pricing and issuing policies;
- Establish and maintain professional working relationships with companies and brokers through telephone conversations and one-to-one meetings.
- Post-Secondary degree or diploma in a related field, such as mathematics, finance, commerce, business or equivalent experience;
- 10+ years of experience in commercial underwriting (General Liability);
- Wholesale/MGA industry exposure desired;
- 3+ years of previous leadership and people management experience with success in leading, recruiting, hiring, training, managing and motivating employees;
- CIP Certification;
- Business development experience;
- Excellent mathematical and analytical skills;
- Considerable experience in a highly service-oriented role;
- Effective problem solver with initiative to be innovative and creative with developing new ideas and concepts;
- Exemplary interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships;
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to prioritize, handle multiple tasks and move between projects continuously;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and presentation skills;
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite;
- Committed to team-based environments;
- Proven ability to handle confidential material with the highest level of discretion;
- Demonstrated ability to flourish in environments of significant change;
- Autonomous (comfortable working with minimal supervision);
- Experience or knowledge in domestic markets and Lloyds of London.
Why South Western Insurance Group Ltd.?
- All full-time employees start with 3 weeks paid vacation (per the terms of the vacation policy);
- Work-life balance with flexible work hours;
- Support of continuing education training and programs;
- Comprehensive Health Benefits.
Please inform us if you require any accommodations during the hiring process. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume using the link below: