Title: Surety Risk Management Specialist
Location: Markham or Montreal
- Confidently handle an assigned portfolio of Surety Claims and Incidents ranging from straightforward Payment Bond claims to Performance Bond claims, and complex multi-project, multi-claim defaults.
- Conducts required investigation, evaluation, and settlement of Claims on both Contract and Commercial Surety Bonds.
- Such Contract Surety Bond claims may be on a bonded project(s) with a contract amount in excess of $100 million, with potential exposure on a claim(s) in excess of $15 million.
- Claims may arise anywhere in Canada, with the odd one in the United States. The emphasis will be on adjusting rather than examining, and pursuant to Surety Risk Management policies, processes and practices.
- Performance Bond claims are usually very time sensitive, and in order to minimize damages, and provide a favourable customer experience must be addressed with due diligence and dispatch, as well as professionally.
- Organizes completion of remaining scope of bonded work, including determining scope of work, preparing / assisting with tender packages, obtaining / evaluating completion tenders, and preparation and execution of completion contracts.
- Plays a contributing, and if appropriate, leading role on Incident Teams addressing situations that are not business as usual for our Contractor clients. Strategies developed may include those related to loss avoidance and mitigation (on occasion arranging for bank financing of a financially distressed contractor).
- Claims and Incidents are sometimes managed in the context of an insolvency, restructuring or liquidation, and involve multiple parties with varying interests. Accordingly, the role also involves interaction with Receivers, Monitors, Trustees in Bankruptcy, Banks, and various Creditors.
- Instructs exterior legal Counsel in devising and implementing the most effective strategy to influence the desired outcome.
- Drafts straightforward to moderately complex agreements, including settlement agreements, tolling agreements, releases, completion agreements, MOUs, etc.
- Cost effectively manages our vendors (lawyers, construction consultants, insolvency / restructuring consultants, etc.).
- Coordinates indemnity and other recovery efforts on assigned matters.
- Researches and records the law applicable to assigned matters, including Claims, Incidents, and Underwriting issues and inquiries.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Bi-lingual (English/French) strongly preferred
- In addition prefer one of more of following; Engineering designation or degree (B.A.Sc. – Civil Engineering, P.Eng., C.E.T.); Construction or Consulting designation / accreditation (such as CCCA, GSC, CEC, PQS, GSC)
- Minimum experience requirements including the number of years and type of experience within and outside of the company. Either of:
- 10+ years adjusting / examining moderately complex Surety claims.
- 5+ years relevant experience in Construction (Construction Manager, Project Manager, Contracts Administrator, Project Coordinator, Construction Estimator, etc.)
- 5+ years relevant Consulting experience (Project Engineer, Engineering Technologist, Cost Consultant, Quantity Surveyor, Claim Consultant, etc.)
- Knowledge of Construction processes, means & methods.
- Familiarity of standard construction documents, including those of CCDC, CCA, and Construction Act.
- Working knowledge of contract and construction law.
- Creative solutions, superior dispute resolution skills.
- Highly resourceful.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills.
- Analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Precise and clear writing style, with strong attention to detail.
- Strong organization skills and the ability to process information quickly and accurately.
- Experience drafting documents, reports, and agreements.
- Understanding of Canadian legal system and processes would be beneficial.
- Familiarity with corporate insolvency and restructuring practices and law would be an asset.
Compensation: Competitive pay and bonus. Excellent benefits, pension…
If you meet or exceed these requirements and qualifications, please contact Maurice at 416-868-6711, x 232 or email your resume in confidence to email@example.com. If you are already working with another DGA Recruiter, feel free to ask them about this opportunity and they will give you more details.
DGA Careers is Canada’s only national Executive Search and Recruitment firm focused exclusively on the insurance industry, since 1986. Our deep industry experience, knowledge and strong relationships enable us to connect leading insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms with the most talented mid to senior level professionals for each individual leadership role.