THE WAWANESA MUTUAL INSURANCE COMPANY IS HIRING A MANAGER, OPERATIONAL AUDITS - UNDERWRITING FOR PERMANENT UNDEFINED
Wawanesa Insurance is one of the largest property and casualty insurers in Canada. Wawanesa Mutual, founded in 1896 with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon, and Wawanesa Life, which distributes life insurance products and services throughout Canada. With over 3,000 employees, Wawanesa proudly serves over two million policyholders, who are our owners. As an employer, we provide an environment that is respectful, challenging and rewarding. As a corporate citizen, we actively give back to organizations that strengthen communities where we operate, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy.
Location: Winnipeg Executive Office (EXHO) R3C 3P1, CA
Our Internal Audit Department is continuously working towards enhancing audit services in support of new strategic initiatives. These initiatives have led to rapid company growth and the creation of new roles within the Internal Audit Department at our Executive Office. We are seeking experienced candidates who are interested in joining a team of motivated and skilled audit professionals. If you want to be challenged and offered opportunities to grow, consider this the next exciting and challenging step in your career.
Under general guidance of the Vice President, Internal Audit, the Manager, Operational Audits - Underwriting is responsible for leading the planning, execution and reporting of operational, consulting, and regulatory compliance audits of Executive Off ice functions and Regional operations, to assess the adequacy of internal controls, the overall effectiveness of operations and to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Provides leadership, mentorship and development to the underwriting operational audit team.
- Manages and conducts complex and detailed audits of Executive Office underwriting functions.
- Manages and conducts comprehensive audits of regional underwriting and privacy areas.
- Manages and oversees the work of the underwriting operational audit team and other audit staff assigned to assist with underwriting related operational, consulting, and regulatory compliance audits.
- Manages a team of audit professionals inclusive of hiring, training and evaluating direct reports.
- Plans, prioritizes and manages audit projects efficiently and adapts to add ress resource challenges.
- Develops, evaluates, reviews, and recommends audit procedures and standards.
- Performs complex audit procedures and approves final electronic work papers.
- Identifies and documents complex issues and develops recommendations using independent judgement.
- Communicates the results of audits using written reports and oral presentations to senior management.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with key internal clients and stakeholders.
- Provides key input into the annual risk assessment process and development of the annual audit plan.
- Manages and conducts special reviews of operational underwriting areas on an ad-hoc basis.
- Pursues professional development and identifies development opportunities for operational audit team.
- Leads Internal Audit representation on project teams and at management meetings.
- Performs or de legates other duties as assigned by the Vice President, Internal Audit.
- Minimum 7 years Property & Casualty underwriting experience, including 3 years people mgnt. experience.
- Completion of the CIP or FCIP designation or equivalent would be considered an asset.
- Post-secondary degree/diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to travel as required throughout the year to locations within Canada and the United States.
- Excellent leadership skills, including the ability to develop motivated and effective teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare clear and concise audit reports with a tone and style fitting for the audience and message.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the abil ity to manage and execute multiple projects within required timelines and expectations.
- Strong negotiation skills, including the ability to obtain management buy-in for audit recommendations.
- Strong analytical/problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with latitude for initiative and judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to work with highly sensitive and confidential information.