- Complete risk assessment on larger and more complex cases with higher premium and face amounts.
- Complete classification for life and critical illness, making effective use of full signing
- Apply holistic underwriting expertise in all areas of underwriting including medical, financial and lifestyle factors to make sound and competitive underwriting decisions.
- Refers and mentors less experienced underwriters:
- Provide expertise to team of underwriters and advisors to make decisions based on accepted underwriting standards and company's underwriting guidelines.
- While acting as a referrer and mentor for other underwriters, also provide feedback and direction to help develop underwriting bench strength.
- Provide full explanations for our rationale on all responses and decisions.
- Demonstrate expertise in all the underwriting tools, systems and processes and ability to articulate underlying principles and philosophies. Recognized as a resource by team.
- Contribute to the leadership of the team through:
- Take leadership role in identifying areas of challenge and bringing forward well thought out recommendations for solutions.
- Demonstrate visible and positive leadership that actively supports change. May also act as a change agent and help others adapt.
- May be a technical resource to Underwriting Process Consultant, as required.
- Demonstrated/excellent underwriting skills, with a minimum of 7 to 10 years underwriting experience.
- Analytical and decision making skills.
- Customer and results focus, pro-active service orientation.
- Flexibility and ability to easily prioritize to meet business objectives.
- Demonstrated positive leadership that actively supports change.
- Strong partnership and communication skills.
- Demonstrated awareness of trends and changes in medicine, and initiative to bring forward recommendations to operational teams and development and governance as needed.
- Excel at building partnerships with advisors.
- Demonstrate empathy and practice principles of finesse to promote positive interactions.
- Must make appropriate risk assessment decisions on applications in accordance with Sun Life Financial's underwriting guidelines and within signing authority.
- Consultants will assess risks up to a maximum of $3,000,000 with 300% mortality with ability to decline unacceptable risks.
- Senior consultants will assess risks up to a maximum of $5,000,000 and 300% mortality with ability to decline unacceptable risks.
- As a key referrer supporting several regional teams, this individual needs to identify when it is appropriate to make an exception based on the uniqueness of each case.
- AALU designation and working towards the FALU designation.
Please apply at:
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the core of our values at Sun Life. A diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas benefits our clients, the communities where we operate and all of us as colleagues. We welcome applications from qualified individuals from all backgrounds.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process or those needing job postings in an alternative format may e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.