This position requires the individual to balance the role of underwriter and broker when dealing with the client. The individual is responsible for analysing, assessing and qualifying the level of risk associated with the underwriting of the Used Car Dealer Insurance program. This role requires the individual to provide advice regarding appropriate premiums, policy approval and to ensure it is administered within our general underwriting guidelines. The underwriter is responsible for all Broker communication with the client and producing solutions for issues that occur within the book of business. The role incudes overseeing and monitoring the management of the assistant’s time and desk as required to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Manage the assigned book of business which includes underwriting and negotiating renewals directly with clients, sales representatives and producers.
- Handle all phone calls on the assigned book of business and delegate where appropriate.
- Review and process all renewals and ensure they are all completed 45 days prior to renewal date.
- Process all endorsement documents along with invoicing throughout the month.
- Ensures all underwriting guidelines and procedures are adhered to.
- Responsible for remarketing to another Insurer any risk that does not meet the Used Car Dealer program guidelines or requests an alternative quote.
- Manage and monitor the underwriter assistant’s desk to ensure a consistent workflow and monthly deadlines are met.
- Ensures all accounts are invoiced in a timely manner in keeping with office policy and assist with the collection of the receivables.
- Ensures all abeyance items are completed in a timely fashion.
- Investigate and troubleshoot customer service issues with regard to policies and claims.
- Build customer loyalty, ensuring communication is open and efficient.
- Keep up to date on product and industry knowledge and attend product and sales training as required.
- Maintain working knowledge of the computer system and related software as it relates to this position.
- Visit new and existing clients when required.
- Cross sell / up-sell on existing book when possible.
- Performs other duties as required.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Maintains excellent technical general insurance knowledge
Sound understanding of risk management
Stays abreast of current industry issues, both insurance and client-related
Strong customer service orientation
A well-defined sense of diplomacy and persuasiveness including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, interpersonal and people management skills
Willingness to work a flexible schedule including overtime as demands dictate
Proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel); Agency Manager (TAM) and other department-specific systems
Minimum 3 years’ experience brokering experience property casualty products
At Baird MacGregor & Hargraft, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live and serve, and creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach her/his potential. We are committed to providing accommodation to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruitment or interview process, we will work with you to accommodate your needs.
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
Please email your resume confidentially to Janice MacEachern-Vila at firstname.lastname@example.org.