As a wholly owned subsidiary of the Cooperators General Insurance company, Sovereign Insurance believes your experience matters. This is our promise to not only our clients but to our employees as well, because we know the strength of our company starts with our people. The smart, curious and collaborative people who bring their whole heart and passion to work each day. But you can’t pour from an empty cup; we take care of the well-being of our people so that they are inspired to protect Canadian businesses and the lives, families and communities we impact. Join us and begin shaping your experience at Sovereign.
Sovereign is looking for a Surety Underwriting Assistant with a proven track record to join our team in Toronto. The successful candidate will support primarily the Residential Surety department; but will also be required to provide support for Contract and Commercial Surety Managers/Underwriters as well. In the role of the Surety Underwriting Assistant you will also work with representatives of the Tarion Warranty Corporation, Sovereign’s Accounting department, Project Solicitors, Cost Consultants and Sovereign’s Broker network in order to compile, prepare, process and maintain underwriting information critical to the day-to-day work flow of the Surety Team.
What you’re responsible for:
- Examining new Tarion bond and deposit lending submissions within definded risk thresholds and preparing legal documents to be forwarded to external stakeholders for execution and registration.
- Assisting Surety Underwriters with the set-up of new files in Excel and internal data management systems.
- Reviewing active files regularly to ensure all essential underwriting and security information is current and updated.
- Operating in a time sensitive environment to complete all administrative processes for new business and renewals; including obtaining required renewal information, processing of invoices as applicable, and contacting external stakeholders to obtain information for Client / Project analysis and deposit lending services.
- Liaising with Solicitors, industry consultants, Brokers and Clients to ensure awareness of any amendments and/or corrections regarding payments and or distribution of funds.
What to expect:
- Time sensitive, detail-oriented work that requires a high degree of mental concentration for extended periods of time.
- Your use strong judgement and interpersonal skills to build relationships and work effectively with people at all levels within the Surety and Construction industry.
- You will be subject to a Criminal Record and Consumer History background check as a condition of employment, in the event you are the successful candidate.
To be successful:
- You thrive on delivering our exceptional client experience through positive and engaging relationships; embracing accountability to achieve effective results.
- You ensure your day to day actions are in harmony with the company’s purpose, vision, and values even when challenged.
- You will support and guide others through changing conditions and encourage the exploration of new opportunities or innovations.
- You value cooperative and collaborative dialogue because diverse perspectives offer more creative and productive solutions.
To join our team:
- Post-secondary education in Commerce, Accounting or Finance is an asset.
- 1 - 2 years of administrative experience or a working knowledge of financial statements and/or credit and/or construction experience.
- CIP/CRM/ACSB designation or progression toward completion considered an asset.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to take on challenging work and contribute your expertise, creativity, and passion in meaningful ways.
- A comprehensive total rewards package, including competitive salary, bonus, paid time off, pension and benefits.
- A holistic approach to your well-being, with physical and mental health programs and flexible work options.
- The opportunity to work on an inclusive team who inspire each other to work hard and push the limits of what’s possible in the Surety business line.
- An organizational commitment to sustainability and charitable giving; positively impacting the social, environmental and economic well-being of Canadian businesses, families and communities.