Totten Insurance Group continues to grow and we are looking for a strong Claims Director to be accountable for claims across Canada. This role is based downtown Toronto and reports to the EVP & Chief Underwriting Officer. We are looking for a leader who brings a strong claims background to assist in building strategy, structure and an effective team to support the business requirements. This is an ideal role for a hands-on claims professional with strong leadership and coaching skills to support Totten nationally.
The Claims Director is responsible for developing, leading, and growing our claims department. The Claims Director will evaluate our current claims handling processes, and develop cost efficient ways to improve the management and oversight of our current claims handling, from our Third Party Administrators (TPA) for our clients across Canada. The role will require direct interaction with clients, carriers and claims adjusters.
- Working closely with the Totten Executive team to develop the plan for the development and implementation of a superior claims management department, including but not limited to (processes, procedure manuals, transition plan, hiring, IT solutions, claim payment processes)
- Ensuring compliance with any licensing requirements.
- Maintaining and developing a strong working relationship with Domestic and International carriers.
- Ensuring compliance with any contracted claims handling processes, procedures, and service level requirements.
- Confirming and ensuring TAM broker management system is updated with adjuster assigned and claims handling updates including reserves and descriptions.
- Monitoring large loss notifications, and advising UW and EMT of same.
- Reporting all E&O claims to HUB (Head office) and continue to monitor and provide regular updates to EMT.
- Performing regularly scheduled audits of claim files handled by TPAs.
- Oversee the follow up with Lloyd’s on all payments (pending, open and reserves) on Lineage
- Working with Head Office Underwriters and Actuary to improve quality and timeliness of Claims reports.
- Identifying employee training needs and implement appropriate development plans for underwriting and claims teams.
- Triaging of claims of all types and levels as required
- Ensuring accurate and timely claims administration as required by claims handling contracts (payment requests, bordereau maintenance, lineage maintenance, loss fund maintenance)
- Collaborating with Human Resources for any hiring and onboarding of any new employees.
- Post-Secondary Education or equivalent work experience
- A professional insurance designation (FCIP, CIP ,CRM)
- Minimum of 10 years of insurance claims handling experience
- Minimum of 5 years of examining experience for a third party administrator or broker.
- Good working knowledge of the Lloyds of London market and claims handling processes and procedures (Bordereaus, Lineage, Loss Funds, Lloyds Compliance).
- Experience with policy wordings and claims handling procedures on all lines of business.
- Minimum of 4 years of successful people management experience
- MGA experience desired
- Strong communication skills (verbal, presentations and written).
- Proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Experience with TAM, Policy Works, Lineage and broker management systems
Totten Insurance Group is Canada’s leading national MGA provider of niche products and innovative solutions. Totten Group is committed to servicing brokers across the country and is comprised of six divisions: Personal Lines; Commercial Property; Commercial Casualty; Hospitality; Construction and Professional Liability. With offices across Canada, Totten Group’s corporate office resides in Toronto ON, and has other locations in Oakville ON, Dartmouth NS, Winnipeg MB, Montreal QC, and Vancouver BC. Learn more at www.tottengroup.com.