About the Organization:
South Western Insurance Group Ltd. (SWG) is a Managing General Agent offering a broad range of insurance solutions for specialty, niche, program and Insurance needs that require innovative solutions. Since 1961 we have proudly provided underwriting expertise to independent insurance brokers across Canada.
SWG operates from offices located in, Toronto, Quebec, & Vancouver.
We have earned a reputation for excellence in underwriting, risk management and customer service. We are continuously perfecting the way we do business and are satisfied with nothing less than the absolute highest level of service. SWG’s Vision is “To be the preferred Canadian Wholesaler based on superior service and underwriting excellence delivered by knowledgeable staff”.
Junior/Intermediate Underwriter (Property & Casualty)
The primary focus of this role will be underwriting, maintaining and growing an assigned portfolio of Commercial Insurance business within the Central Region (predominately in Ontario). Key products include Commercial General Liability, Property, P&C Package and Excess Liability.
To analyze and underwrite new and renewal business, under limited direction, utilizing South Western Insurance Group underwriting framework within delegated authority levels on complex assignments ensuring a high level of service to customers. Love being an independent solutions-oriented thinker, but enjoy collaboration and knowledge sharing with the team
Client Externally Focused – The positions core deliverables rely on delivering service to external clients and/or customers, which goes hand in hand and involves building relationships and promoting the company.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Production and underwriting of an assigned book of new and renewal business, including analysis of risk and negotiation of policy terms and conditions to ensure rate adequacy, profitability and consistency with South Western Insurance Group corporate strategy and treaties.
- Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities.
- Expand and maintain SWG broker/client base by ensuring quality customer service and timely responses.
- Provide support to other Commercial Insurance Underwriters in marketing, sales and underwriting efforts.
- Keep the management team abreast of key developments on broker/market intelligence.
- Review, evaluate and recommend changes within local market conditions, where appropriate.
- Work closely with other SWG business units to leverage multi-line business opportunities.
- Demonstrate effective prioritization of workload and provide superior customer service.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Responsible for the management, development and expansion of key broker relationships in the marketplace.
- Undertake to assist in the development of market leading client relationships and demonstrate a strong ability to build and expand relationships with key regional clients.
- Handle underwriting referrals for the Central Region Commercial Insurance Team within authority.
- Provide input to the management team in the development of marketing plans, product analysis & services.
- Review and collaborate on multi-line business opportunities across all SWG strategic business units.
- A minimum of 5 years of insurance industry experience that includes Commercial Insurance working experience including Property and Casualty products.
- Self-starter with strong analytical skills, in addition to strong business & interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong market and broker relationships and ability to develop and drive business opportunities.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- University degree or equivalent post-secondary education with relevant insurance designations/education is an asset
Interested candidates should submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the job title in the subject line.
SWG welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.