AVP, Energy & Casualty Underwriting
based downtown Toronto
Technical Expert Required
Come Work for a Global Reputable Insurer
To analyze and underwrite highly complex new and renewal business, under minimal direction, utilizing the organization's underwriting framework as a subject matter expert, while providing clients exemplary service.
- Working under minimal direction, underwrite and analyze new and renewal business within delegated authority levels of highly complex assignments.
- Demonstrate specialized knowledge and expertise in products and industry.
- Administer and monitor underwriting rules and guidelines, insurance laws and regulations, and rating manuals.
- Work at the highest authority limits on assignments utilizing the highest degree of technical complexity and coordination. Develop and maintain relationships with distributors (agents & brokers) in support of business retention and acquisition and works with customers and distributors (agents & brokers) to determine their insurance related needs and provide solutions.
- Support the organization's sales culture by being a Help Point for agents, brokers and customers.
- Contribute to the development of propositions. Provide technical guidance, assistance, and training to lower level underwriters.
- Proactively seek renewal and new account opportunities.
- Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities.
- Qualify accounts to meet with the organization's appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
- Make agent/broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
- Negotiate Terms & Conditions and close deals.
- Cross-Sell other lines of business to increase product density with the account.
- Participate in Sales Team meeting as related to assigned brokers and / or territory.
- Proactively engage in the target account process, managing a qualified list of opportunities 90 to 120 days prior to effective date.
- Update required systems with details of broker / client visits and account status within specified time frame.
- Serve as key contact for assigned target accounts.
- Develop strong broker and client networks as related to industries underwritten by Business Unit.
- Calculate Target Price accurately by utilizing underwriting tools appropriately.
- Sponsor / lead product development and develop training.
- Drive/manage how Business Unit will deal with emerging issues.
- Resolve technical issues for company.
- Provide expertise on coverage issues with claims.
- Develop u/w manuals, programs and guidelines.
- Handle & review large/complex underwriting submissions and annual underwriting reviews.
- Benchmark and establish best practices, mentor junior staff
- Able to work overtime during peak periods, and travel as required
- Utilize established financial systems and track metrics and key performance indicators to ensure underwriting authority is meeting standards and business goals.
- Monitor and review work undertaken across a number of small to medium scale projects or a large complex project in order to ensure appropriate use of resources and adherence to schedules.
- Provide advisory services to colleagues on a daily basis, measuring exposure and analyzing risk in order to provide appropriate coverage that meets the organization´s risk and compliance processes.
- Research primary data sources, select relevant information, analyze key themes and trends and make recommendations to support operational decision-making such as which coverage to provide.
- Research best practice and provide consultancy to support senior management in developing and improving processes and systems relevant to underwriting.
- Assess complex customer cases, evaluate their unique needs and apply technical techniques and know-how to recommend a solution.
- Build relationships with customers by handling a range of queries and provide advice with the development of an account to create additional value for the organization and customers.
- Apply rating tools and methodologies to own work area to deliver to customers and offer suggestions for improvements.
- Advise senior management on appropriate coverage given to customers and/or ensure accurate calculation of earned premium to protect the organization´s interests.
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent and 7+ years of experience in the Underwriting or Market Facing area.
- Advanced knowledge and practice of line/s of business
- Strong knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
- Ability to effectively assess risk and work in a team based environment.
- Knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business, as well as strong presentation skills