To analyze and underwrite new and renewal business, under limited direction, utilizing the company’s Underwriting Framework within delegated authority levels on highly complex assignments ensuring a high-level service to customers.
Proactively seek renewal and new account opportunities.
• Complete detailed opportunity assessment with key distributors to identify growth opportunities.
• Qualify accounts to meet with the organization's appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity.
• Make agent/broker/customer and on-sight calls with a planned and well-prepared purpose.
• Negotiate Terms & Conditions and close deals.
• Cross-Sell other lines of business to increase product density with the account.
• Participate in Sales Team meeting as related to assigned brokers and / or territory.
• Proactively engage in the target account process, managing a qualified list of opportunities 90 to 120 days prior to effective date.
• Update required systems with details of broker / client visits and account status within specified time frame.
• Serve as key contact for assigned target accounts.
• Develop strong broker and client networks as related to industries underwritten by Business Unit.
• Calculate Target Price accurately by utilizing underwriting tools appropriately.
• Measure exposure/analyze risk.
• Initiate product development idea.
• Assist in training and developing staff.
• Provide expertise on coverage issues with claims programs and guidelines.
• Contribute to development of u/w manuals, programs and guidelines.
• Approve/place facultative purchases
• Develop and lead marketing presentations to new and current agents/brokers
• Promote the organization's products and services in order to increase penetration within agency plant
• Ensure the successful completion of projects by maintaining continuing dialogue with business unit sponsors during implementation of major projects
• Diagnose and develop recommendations to solve unique business unit and customer problems
• Lead complex technical or long-term (over 6 months) business projects to implement new or changed systems, programs or products
• Investigate, recommend and implement leading edge technical solutions when they meet customer needs
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Microsoft Office experience
• Strong underwriting background in large complex fleets, garage automobile coverage, contingent lessors’ coverage, and non-owned automobile.
• Some multi-line underwriting experience also in commercial general liability and motor truck cargo.
• Experience with accounts involving actuarial reviews.
• Experience with international accounts.
Additional Job Functions:
• Monitor and review work undertaken across a number of small to medium scale projects or a large complex project in order to ensure appropriate use of resources and adherence to schedules.
• Provide advisory services to colleagues on a daily basis, measuring exposure and analyzing risk in order to provide appropriate coverage that meets the organization´s risk and compliance processes.
• Research primary data sources, select relevant information, analyze key themes and trends and make recommendations to support operational decision-making such as which coverage to provide.
• Research best practice and provide consultancy to support senior management in developing and improving processes and systems relevant to underwriting.
• Assess complex customer cases, evaluate their unique needs and apply technical techniques and know-how to recommend a solution.
• Build relationships with customers by handling a range of queries and provide advice with the development of an account to create additional value for the organization and customers.
• Apply rating tools and methodologies to own work area to deliver to customers and offer suggestions for improvements.
DGA Careers has been proudly serving the Canadian insurance industry for over 30 years, specializing in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. With offices in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary, DGA Careers is well positioned to conduct searches with a national scope. Our unrivalled professional network across Canada provides us with the ability to reach vital key influencers and passive candidates nationally.
Interested candidates please contact Antonella Leone at 416.868.6711 ext. 226 or forward your resume in confidence to email@example.com. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position.