Our client is seeking an creative and and forward-thinking Senior Casualty Underwriter to join their team! During a time of rapid growth, there is alot of opportunity to join a high functioning team and organsiation and make an impact!
This position will be dealing with complex and hard to place risks with a casualty focus. Extra points if you have a deep understanding of liability underwriting, particularly non-standard or high hazard liability including liquor liability.
Our client is offering a competitive salary, RSP matching, flexible hours, work life balance and more! They are a large BC based MGA with locations in Ontario, so this position can be remote!
In this position you will drive growth and profitability. You will leverage existing broker relationships, expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial spirit to build your book. Surrounded by a team of experienced practice leaders, managers and executives, our client provides an extensive array of products, ample capacity and empowerment to enable your success. In this role, your focus is attracting and underwriting new business opportunities while being supported by and mentoring less experienced staff.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Successfully evaluate, select, negotiate and price assigned policies, including non-standard and complex accounts, in order to ensure a profitable book of business within an established underwriting authority
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with brokers and insurance/reinsurance partners to enhance understanding of the target market and contribute to high quality service, problem solving and risk selection
- Gather and assess appropriate risk information from external brokers and accept or decline submissions, utilizing loss control and risk management practices, based on suitability of risk and market availability
- Develop and maintain an understanding of company operations and procedures, internal and external claim trends, industry underwriting and wording standards
- Provide support, expertise, mentorship and guidance to more junior team members
- Track and produce production activity reports
- Educate brokers on product appetite, submission needs, and other business-related items
Here’s what you bring:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in commercial underwriting (casualty/liability focus is very highly regarded and preference will be given)
- An entrepreneurial spirit with strong selling and negotiation skills and a demonstrated ability to generate revenue growth
- Broad knowledge and understanding of underwriting discipline and pricing models
- Experience with standard and non-standard personal lines accounts
- Working towards or completion of Level 2 General Insurance License - Level 1 minimum
- Working towards or completion of CIP, FCIP, CRM and/or CAIB designation is an asset
- Good communication skills and a positive attitude
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Self-motivated and excellent time management skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
DGA Careers has been proudly serving the Canadian insurance industry for over 30 years, specializing in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. With offices in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary, DGA Careers is well positioned to conduct searches with a national scope. Our unrivaled professional network across Canada provides us with the ability to reach vital key influencer's and passive candidates nationally.
Interested candidates please contact Affia at email@example.com. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position