Title: Senior Underwriter, Professional Lines (Full-Time)
Location: Toronto, ON
Merlin Underwriting is a Toronto-based specialty Managing General Agent (MGA) focused principally on delivering tailored insurance solutions to the Canadian mid-market. It offers disciplined underwriting of various property and casualty, professional and financial lines products, and a wealth of experience with various high-hazard industries. Merlin is committed to delivering exceptional service, underwriting wisdom and designing flexible but practical specialty insurance solutions.
We are seeking an energetic and entrepreneurial individual to join our team as a Senior Underwriter in our Professional Lines division. This is a full-time position, located in Toronto, ON, that will service brokers across Canada. Please note that given the ongoing circumstances surrounding COVID-19, this is a remote-working position until further notice.
- Proactively seek business opportunities including the underwriting and quoting of new business, renewal business and related endorsements in accordance with Merlin’s underwriting philosophy and appetite, rating, loss ratio objectives, service standards and authority;
- Qualify accounts to meet with the organization's appetite, balanced with sound business opportunity;
- Complete detailed pipeline assessments with key distributors to identify growth opportunities;
- Complete all necessary documentation to support the Professional Lines book of business;
- Develop, foster and maintain positive constructive relationships with brokers across Canada;
- Develop a team-oriented approach to meeting corporate and department goals and objectives; including premium and profitability targets.
Role Skillset and Experience Required:
- Minimum seven (7) years of underwriting experience, particularly in:
o Architects and Engineers Professional Liability; and/or
o Technology Professional Liability; and/or
o Miscellaneous Professional Liability
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical skills, highly organized and capable of managing multiple deadlines;
- Highly motivated with a self-starter attitude;
- Strong decision-making skills;
- Customer focused and to demonstrate excellent communication skills – written and verbal;
- Superior interpersonal skills, as you would be a key contributor to the team’s success.
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite;
- Knowledge of Salesforce software and portals;
- Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation is preferred.
- RPLU preferred or current enrollment.
Keys to Success:
The successful applicant can work independently and is keenly aware of maintaining an exceptional client experience through engaging relationships and embracing accountability. He or she can quickly adapt to changing conditions and offer a natural curiosity to explore new opportunities or innovations and can embrace a cooperative and collaborative dialogue with the team.
- Why Merlin?
An independent and secure privately held company;
- A competitive compensation package including salary, bonus, paid time off and benefits;
- The opportunity to work on an inclusive team with strong leadership support;
- A diverse team with a collaborative atmosphere;
- A progressive firm that values and promotes inclusivity, transparency and open dialogue;
- Competitive Educational benefits including relevant course tuition and encouragement;
- A Wellness Program that seeks to help promote a healthy work-life balance;
- The opportunity to take on challenging work and contribute your expertise, creativity, and passion in meaningful ways.
To apply for this exciting role, please email your CV directly to email@example.com and one of our team members will be in touch.
Merlin Underwriting Inc.