SENIOR COMMERCIAL UNDERWRITER
The primary role of the Senior Underwriter is to underwrite and service an existing commercial lines portfolio with a mandate to retain and grow profitability, and to develop and maintain exceptional working relationships with our Transportation specialist brokers.
- Within delegated authority level, analyze and underwrite new and renewal business utilizing Old Republic Canada’s underwriting and pricing guidelines to ensure a profitable book of business.
- Utilize underwriting guidelines and Company best practices to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Demonstrate complex decision-making with little or no supervision, providing recommendations where appropriate to maximize profitability.
- Assist less experienced underwriters in the handling of complex accounts.
- Serve as a mentor, providing technical support, training, and problem solving for other underwriters and support staff on an ongoing basis, encouraging individuals and the team to improve and accelerate performance.
- Direct Underwriting Assistants in coding, policy issuance, statutory filings, endorsement requests and basic underwriting activities.
- Meet with assigned brokers, clients, prospects as required and provide training on products, services, processes and underwriting philosophy.
- Work collaboratively on special projects and assignments requiring advanced technical skills and knowledge when required.
- Provide input to the Director of Underwriting on various underwriting, strategic, and other issues as requested, including industry committees
- Travel within Canada and U.S. for company-specific business requirements and training.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent related work experience.
- CIP designation, or equivalent level work experience and actively pursuing CIP.
- Minimum five years experience in underwriting Commercial Automobile at senior level (medium to complex risks)
- Thorough knowledge of the trucking industry, coverage features and pricing techniques. Exposure to long haul trucking, fleet, cross border into the U.S. is preferred.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of underwriting discipline and pricing models.
- Working knowledge of other functional areas (i.e., Claims, Risk Management, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills and well-developed negotiation skills.
- Excellent computer skills; MS Word, Excel.
- Demonstrated presentation skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial lines products and legal and regulatory guidelines.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills with ability to provide justification.
- Ability to foster and build a long-term working relationship with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to focus on the broker and customer needs, ensuring a high quality of service is provided.
Please submit resume and cover letter to HR@orican.com. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Due to COVID-19, this position currently works remotely. Once conditions allow us to return to the office, the role will be fulfilled from our Hamilton office.
Old Republic Canada is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation will be provided for qualified applicants with a disability throughout all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation due to a disability, please contact Human Resources and we will work with you to determine an appropriate accommodation. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.