As a wholly owned subsidiary of the Cooperators General Insurance company, Sovereign Insurance believes your experience matters. This is our promise to not only our clients but to our employees as well, because we know the strength of our company starts with our people. The smart, curious and collaborative people who bring their whole heart and passion to work each day. But you can’t pour from an empty cup; we take care of the well-being of our people so that they are inspired to protect Canadian businesses and the lives, families and communities we impact. Join us and begin shaping your experience at Sovereign.
Sovereign is looking for a Senior Underwriter or Specialist for our Contract Surety Team in Western Canada who has a proven track record in the market for building strong relationships and handling complex accounts. The successful candidate will evaluate risks and negotiate proper rates for Contracts that align with our philosophy and exposure limits to support a profitable book of business. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, have exceptional business acumen and the people skills to match, this opportunity is for you!
What you’re responsible for:
- Analyze, assess and monitor the financial strength of new and existing account business.
- Negotiate specific terms and conditions for the issuance of surety bonds.
- Demonstrate capability for outstanding customer service and building long term relationships while Identifying, developing and cultivating new business relationships in the Surety market that supports business objectives.
- Maintaining knowledge of surety trends and expand upon industry awareness to improve underwriting decisions through courses and training.
- Represent Sovereign at various associations and industry related functions.
- Search for solutions to complex problems with the ability to bring creativity to underwriting risks.
What to expect:
- You are required to have a valid driver’s license and insurance.
- You will travel occasionally.
- Detail oriented work that requires a high degree of mental concentration for extended periods of time.
- A high degree of confidentiality and discretion is required.
- You will be subject to a Criminal Record and Consumer History background check as a condition of employment, in the event you are the successful candidate.
To be successful:
- You thrive on delivering our exceptional client experience through positive and engaging relationships; embracing accountability to achieve effective results.
- You ensure your day to day actions are in harmony with the company’s purpose, vision, and values even when challenged.
- You will support and guide others through changing conditions and encourage the exploration of new opportunities or innovations.
- You value cooperative and collaborative dialogue because diverse perspectives offer more creative and productive solutions.
To join our team:
- Post-secondary education in Finance, Economics or equivalent combination of education and experience. (Business or related discipline)
- Minimum 5 Years of Surety Underwriting experience.
- Strong ability to manage multiple priorities/projects and deliver results in a time sensitive environment.
- Exceptional working knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills with the proven ability to define critical issues and recommend creative alternatives to meet our clients’ needs.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to take on challenging work and contribute your expertise, creativity, and passion in meaningful ways.
- A comprehensive total rewards package, including competitive salary, bonus, paid time off, pension and benefits.
- A holistic approach to your well-being, with physical and mental health programs and flexible work options.
- The opportunity to work on an inclusive team who inspire each other to explore and achieve what's possible
- A company that is committed to support the social, environmental and financial well-being of the lives, families and communities we impact.
Your next steps:
To learn more about the impact you can make. Apply to join Sovereign’s talented team of professionals and stand out from the crowd!
Application deadline: April 26, 2021
The Sovereign General Insurance Company is a trusted source of risk solutions for Canadian businesses. Operating in six offices across Canada, Sovereign is a leader in empowered underwriting in commercial and specialty insurance operations. Sovereign is proud to carry an AM Best A- (Excellent) rating and to be recognized once again with Aon Hewitt Gold Level Best Small and Medium Employers in Canada for 2017. Canadian owned and operated since 1953, Sovereign is a part of The Co?operators group of companies, a leading Canadian provider of multi-line insurance products with assets of more than $14.5 billion.
Why choose Sovereign?
We provide a comprehensive compensation and benefits package and encourage a positive work/life balance.
We help you maximize your potential through ongoing training and educational opportunities.
We focus on our people as our most important resource, the knowledge, expertise, creativity and empowerment of our insurance professionals sets us apart.
For more information, please visit: www.sovereigninsurance.ca