As a property and casualty insurance specialist for more than 100 years, Saskatchewan Mutual Insurance Company (SMI) seeks opportunities to be the preferred insurance carrier. At SMI, we not only celebrate people, but we are driven by a relentless need to build personal connections resulting in exceptional customer experiences. Join a team that strives to become a beacon of hope in times where people need us the most.
SMI is looking to fill a newly created, permanent, full-time position of Manager, Risk & Compliance. Reporting to the Vice President, Finance & Chief Risk Officer, the successful candidate will be accountable for supporting fiduciary responsibilities relating to legislative and regulatory compliance as well as the risk management area. The Manger, Risk & Compliance supports the development and implementation of a risk aware organization while monitoring and analyzing the effectiveness of any mitigating and monitoring activities. The position serves as a member of the management team and contributes to the development of corporate strategy and future planning.
As Manager, Risk & Compliance YOU Will Be Responsible For:
Providing clear leadership and direction; managing the operations of the risk and compliance areas and monitoring key performance metrics;
- Monitoring and researching risk information and development by analyzing market trends, industry scanning, reports, statistics, and relevant documentation;
- Conducting detailed risk assessments; reviewing and recommending changes to the ERM policy; and assisting in establishing and quantifying the organization’s risk appetite;
- Supporting risk owners through assisting in the development of methodologies to identify financial impact of loss to the organization and supporting risk reporting through collaboration with risk owners;
- Reviewing risk management policies and protocols; supporting the Chief Risk Officer with embedding a risk aware culture;
- Managing the Company’s regulatory compliance framework; supporting the Chief Compliance Officer with reporting requirements;
- Keeping up-to-date of regulatory developments within or outside of the company as well as evolving best practices in compliance control;
- Managing the Company’s procedures for fair treatment of consumers and dealing with complaints;
- Assisting the Chief Compliance Officer with regulatory filings;
- Managing the Company’s privacy framework;
- Providing support, education and training on risk, compliance and privacy;
- Providing support in recruiting, work assignments, professional development and performance management of risk and compliance staff;
- Participating in strategic planning for the Company.
What We Need From YOU!
- a degree in commerce, law or arts specializing in risk management, business administration, law, accounting, actuarial science, economics, finance or other quantitate field
- five years of experience in risk or compliance management or a related role; three or more years demonstrated experience leading and managing high performing teams
- strong communication, negotiation, diplomacy and relationship building skills to resolve conflicts and encourage a strong supportive culture
- ability to build trust and make connections to support gathering of market intelligence
- basic knowledge of the insurance industry
- strong understanding of risk assessment models
- a good understanding of how underwriting profitability impacts overall corporate results and capital requirements
- ability to understand and interpret financial statements
- ability to visualize, articulate, conceptualize or solve problems by making logical and reasonable decisions
- experience in strategic planning
- detail oriented with a commitment to innovation.
Come grow your career with a company committed to putting people first. When people join SMI, they are here to stay! At SMI, we take pride in caring for our employees as it is the collaborative efforts of our entire team which will allow us to continue to remain successful into the future….
This position offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, a fun and inclusive work environment, professional development opportunities and the potential for further advancement within the company.
HOW TO APPLY
SMI is doing amazing things and we want YOU to be part of our team and continued success! If this sounds like the opportunity for YOU, we want to hear from YOU!
Please submit an electronic copy of your cover letter and resume by May 9th to:
Saskatchewan Mutual Insurance Company
279 3rd Avenue North
SASKATOON SK S7K 2H8
SMI thanks all interested candidates; however, only those selected for consideration will be contacted.