AVP, Liability National Accounts Underwriter
Highly Reputable Global Insurer
Working within the National Accounts Casualty team in Toronto, the role of this Casualty Specialist underwriting role is to generate a pipeline of new business opportunities while managing a renewal portfolio of highly complex risk managed accounts.
Supported by a dedicated local team of Underwriting Assistants, Liability Risk Engineers, International Service Specialists, Pricing Actuaries and an industry leading claims team, this is your opportunity to join a growing and highly successful organization.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in Casualty underwriting with increasing responsibility in handling accounts with increasing complexity and responsibility.
- Highly developed negotiation skills.
- Bachelors Degree
- Advanced knowledge and practice of line/s of business
- Strong knowledge of underwriting philosophy, techniques, national/local filing regulations and guidelines
- Ability to effectively assess risk
- Ability to work in a team-based environment
- Knowledge of time restraints for quotes on new and renewal business
- Strong presentation skills
- Professional Insurance Designation; CIP, CRM or equivalent.
- As a customer led organization, you must lead innovation and drive change by challenging the status quo in seeking creative solutions to meet customer needs.
- Manage and grow trusting relationships with regional brokers in Ontario.
- In depth understanding of regional / local insurance demographics and competitor landscape.
- Proactively seek new account opportunities in keeping with company's strategy and risk appetite.
- Drive the target account process with assigned brokers, managing a qualified list of opportunities a minimum of 120 days prior to effective date.
- Comprehensive knowledge of liability coverages, deductible and retention structures.
- In depth understanding of complex account structures, including ability to underwrite primary liability, umbrella and excess lines of business for a wide variety of industry classes.
- Strong decision-making skills and the ability to bring creativity to underwriting risks and provide sustainable solutions in balancing the needs of the client while maintaining account profitability.
- Superior organizational, deal management and negotiation skills.
- Ability to understand and interpret financial statements and related information.
- Experience with facultative reinsurance placements and ability to negotiate competitive terms.
- Proactively drive involvement of functional areas in the Underwriting process, including e.g. Risk Engineering, Claims, Actuarial, Finance, Distribution and other LoB’s.
- Highly collaborative – total account view in working with other company's Lines of Business to drive product density and consistently provide “best possible terms”.
- Assist in training and mentoring of less experienced staff.
- Business Travel, as required.
- Extended hours during Peak Periods, as required.
- Maintain a valid Driver’s License
- Highly collaborative
DGA Careers has been proudly serving the Canadian insurance industry for over 30 years, specializing in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. With offices in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary, DGA Careers is well positioned to conduct searches with a national scope. Our unrivalled professional network across Canada provides us with the ability to reach vital key influencers and passive candidates nationally.
Interested candidates please contact Antonella Leone at 647-624-9609 or forward your resume in confidence to email@example.com. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position.