We are working with a large Reinsurance Company looking for an Underwriting Specialist that is responsible for the marketing and underwriting of property business, including operational power and construction.
Title: Facultative Underwriting Specialist
Location: Toronto, ON
- Independently underwrite and price moderate to highly complex business in accordance with corporate, divisional and department guidelines and philosophy.
- Produce, underwrite, and manage the book of business in compliance with applicable underwriting guidelines, strategies and best practices.
- Perform the underwriting referral function as specified and as required in the underwriting guidelines and mandates.
- Help to fine tune and implement our portfolio strategy.
- Assure a high quality of underwriting through coaching and mentoring, technical guidance and frequent feedback interactions.
- Develop and maintain strong market presence by developing client and broker strategies.
- Develop new business opportunities and promote the company’s capabilities and competencies externally in close cooperation with Client Management.
- Establish and maintain sound contact with clients and brokers, keeping abreast of market and industry developments and client needs.
- Negotiate and conclude the offers, terms of contract with Brokers/Clients and, when necessary and feasible, submit counter proposals.
- Lead interdepartmental projects to develop and implement underwriting strategies.
- Strategic decision making based on data interpretation beyond models.
- Conduct and lead peer reviews of team members’ accounts.
- Be a peer review resource to other distribution channels and Client Groups, providing underwriting expertise and input.
- Bachelor’s Degree and professional designation such as CIP, FCIP, CRM or FRM preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in (re)insurance, broker community and/ or corporate risk market.
- 5+ years of underwriting experience preferred.
- Strong ability to lead a team technically by providing straight-forward, clear direction, guidance, and coaching.
- Demonstrated superior negotiation skills, facilitating, and managing the complexities and challenges associated with sourcing business.
- Outstanding presentation skills, able to speak at professional seminars, panels, or workshops.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and conceptual skills as well as investigative competencies.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to adjust communication style to audience at all levels whether internally or externally.
- High degree of drive, self-motivation, continuing development and proven ability to work independently.
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability to changing environment and situations.
- Demonstrate accuracy and an eye for attention to detail.
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in the use of pricing models and other risk evaluation models.
- Good understanding of business economics (i.e., ability to assess business plans, analysis of cornerstones of business models, etc.) Business and general insurance acumen.
DGA Careers has been proudly serving the Canadian insurance industry for over 30 years, specializing in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. With offices in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary, DGA Careers is well positioned to conduct searches with a national scope. Our unrivalled professional network across Canada provides us with the ability to reach vital key influencers and passive candidates nationally.
Interested candidates please contact Maurice Reichberg at 416-868-6711 x.232 or forward your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position.