We're currently looking for a Senior Underwriter, Special Groups to join our team either Barrie, ON or in our Surrey, BC office. The Senior Underwriter, Special Groups will support our partners through timely and accurate risk assessment and rating for the development of new business proposals & complex/special renewals (including and not limited to, large cases, ASO, refund).
- Learning our systems and processes within the first 30 days of employment
- Build relationships with underwriters and renewal analysts in Surrey and Barrie
- Build rapport with partners
- Able to complete rating and send proposals and rating on non-complex cases within first 21 days
- Able to assist on straightforward renewals and alternates within the first 30 days
- Review requests for proposals to ensure accurate data and plan design information is in order for all quotes
- Entering in all information into MIRA or workbook, WEBS, to produce a proposal or provide factors for the partner
- Re-evaluate proposal based on either new employee data, new rates or updated plan design information
- Responding to Partner’s inquiries in a timely manner
- Providing the CSLs or CSRs with alternates for in-force groups
- Supporting the quotes team and renewals team or the large case underwriter as needed, to ensure volumes are manageable and response time is within SLA
Education & Experience
- Completion of post secondary education in mathematics, statistics, or another related field an asset
- 10+ years of Group Underwriting experience, including negotiations
- Completion of/working towards completing GBA/CEBS Designations would be an asset
- Extensive Understanding of group benefits
Critical Competencies for ALL Hires:
Competencies define how you expect a new hire to operate in the fulfillment of the job and the achievement of the outcomes. Job Knowledge & Professional Development. Has a complete understanding of the role and is performing the role to its entirety. Acts without being told what to do. Continual focus on expanding knowledge of the role and of the Company as a whole.
Curiosity & Innovation. Generates new and innovative approaches to problems. Ask questions and respectfully challenges current processes. Brings new ideas to the Company and strives for continual improvement of their daily operations and/or work activities.
Organization & Planning. Plans, organizes, and schedules in an efficient, productive manner. Focuses on key priorities. Able to stay on track and meet deadlines. Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
Teamwork. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall positive and collaborative working relationship. Lends a helping hand whenever it is needed.
Communication. Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative. Maintains this standard in all forms of written communication, including Email. Lives up to verbal and written agreements. Communicates in a positive and respectful manner.
Math & Computer Skills. Exhibits strong mathematical ability and is proficient with computers and new technology.
Delivering WOW! Expects personal and team performance to be nothing short of the best. Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a positive, can-do attitude. Takes ownership of the role, goes above and beyond and does whatever it takes to get the job done!
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes for this Role
- Willing to go the distance; do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Adaptability to change
- Work well under pressure with tight deadlines
- Acts as a go-to person for the enlarged Underwriting team
- a competitive salary & benefits program
- paid time off, including flex time
- education assistance
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) with employer matching