Vice President, Information Technology (IT) and Chief Information Officer (CIO)
Reports to: President and Chief Executive Officer
Reporting into the President and Chief Executive Officer, the Vice President, Information Technology (IT) and Chief Information Officer (CIO) is the head of our IT division and a key member of the Executive Team. The insurance industry is changing at a rapid pace toward a more digital service delivery model and there is also an increased need for more business process automation solutions. You will lead IT initiatives that improve cost effectiveness, quality of service and business development in a constantly changing, competitive marketplace.
Working closely with our President, you’ll take ownership of the technology strategy and roadmap at Equitable Life, and you’ll work with your IT leaders and their teams to execute and deliver on the division’s ambitious plans. You’ll have a real say in the decisions, and the investments in technology, partnering closely with our business divisions to ensure the effective synergy between business and technology.
You will lead the firm in planning and implementing enterprise information systems and applications using a combination of cloud-based and on-premise technologies. Your diverse and high performing teams will provide IT services across multiple disciplines, including software/web/mobile development, project execution and solution delivery, IT infrastructure, IT end user services, IT security, data analytics/business intelligence, enterprise content management, and process automation.
The ideal candidate will be one who can adapt their leadership approach to different situations and who will champion the following IT guiding principles: build bridges not silos, make their day every day, go further, say “no” to sloppy work, own the problem, think boldly and act measuredly, and be willing to roll up one’s sleeves and “sweep the floors”.
Company Operating Name: Equitable Life of Canada
Company Legal Name: The Equitable Life Insurance Company of Canada
Business Address: One Westmount Road North, Waterloo, ON, N2J 4C7
Location of Work: One Westmount Road North, Waterloo, ON, N2J 4C7
Job Title: Vice President, Information Technology (IT) and Chief Information Officer (CIO)
Terms of Employment: Full-time, Permanent, 37.5 hours per week
- $315,000.00 per year
- 30 days vacation per year
- Annual Short Term Incentive plan
- Triannual Long Term Incentive Plan
- Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Defined Contribution Supplemental Executive Retirement Plan
- Car Allowance
- Benefit plan includes:
- Life, Accident and Sickness, Disability Insurance coverage
- Health Care Spending Account
- Drug and Dental Benefits
- Wellness account
- Signing bonus may be provided at employer’s sole discretion
- Reasonable relocation costs, as required and at the employer’s sole discretion
- Access to preferred product pricing
- Eligible for annual salary increase as approved by the Board of Directors
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As the head of the IT division, you are a critical member of Equitable Life’s Executive team contributing to the operation and direction of the business as a whole.
- You will provide key IT leadership including coaching/developing/counseling direct reports at various levels of senior IT leadership.
- Through your leadership, you will share your vision and guidance in applying IT solutions to create opportunities through innovation resulting in value creation for Equitable Life.
- With a technical environment that has both modern and legacy technologies, when necessary, you will need to influence, or direct in some cases, business leaders and executives to make costly investments in system upgrades, modernization initiatives, and/or moving to a new platform.
- Operate as a key partner to our business leaders across our organization to ensure our technologies provide the best client experience, which includes leading our organization’s Cloud and Digital Strategies.
- Work closely with Executives across our business divisions to develop and prioritize IT projects related to introduction of new products or processes related to their business unit. Provide insight and projected cost benefit analysis and budget implications on IT infrastructure related projects that impact their business unit.
- Be responsible for IT strategy: developing and implementing approved short and long-term strategic plans and objectives for the entire IT division of the Company.
- Have overall accountability for the following critical areas at Equitable Life:
- the effective, efficient, and cost-effective operation of the IT division at Equitable Life, including a habitual commitment to continually improving processes.
- the planning and management of the Business Continuity Plan to ensure business recovery/continuity of key business processes during and after a major disruptive incident.
- maintaining the integrity of all systems including all security issues related to information technology.
- Develop and implement approved policies, procedures, and practices for IT.
- Stay informed on industry, market, and technology trends and, where necessary, update the President & CEO and Senior Management when necessary to ensure they are fully informed on operating issues and industry developments which may impact the Company.
- Management of external relationships with vendors and representing the company on IT issues with external parties.
- 12+ years of broad-based technical leadership in IT at a senior level; ideally with 5+ years’ leadership experience managing a diverse team across multiple IT disciplines, such as software/web development, infrastructure, and security.
- 3+ years of experience in a technical leadership role within a well-respected insurance or financial services organization is preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field required
- Professional Certifications related to technology or insurance industries preferred.
- An understanding of digitization and the changing technology landscape, including business process automation, business intelligence, and data analytics.
- A proven track record of executing and leading an organization through an effective Cloud, Agile and DevOps strategy.
- Strong financial acumen and a solid understanding of sales and distribution within the insurance industry is preferred.
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills.
- The ability to be a strategic advisor/partner to the President and CEO.
- A successful track record of building and retaining top talent and leading high performing teams.
- Excellent negotiation, influencing, and interpersonal skills with a record of building and maintaining effective working relationships with key internal stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and ability to handle high-level executive and client interactions.
- Impeccable judgement and ability to make sound decisions in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Criminal record check required.
To apply for this opportunity, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.