Seeking Team Leaders to move up to Manager Level
What can you expect in this role?
The incumbent will lead all aspects of the subrogation function at this insurer including both property and auto claims. You are responsible for driving claim strategies to achieve organizational goals and objectives and ensuring that claims standards, policies and procedures are aligned with those strategic goals. This role includes management of the subrogation legal vendor program and will provide support to the expert vendor program as it relates to subrogation. The incumbent will represent Subrogation in cross functional activities of other departments within the organization and manage the activities and performance management cycle of direct reports.
Attract, retain, mentor and develop world class talent
- Manage team performance by implementing strategies and training plans to address team development and providing ongoing performance feedback
- Ensures team training needs are identified by creating development plans to move staff to the next level
- Acts as a leadership role model within the team by imparting knowledge and experience to motivate team performance
- Completes all aspects of the performance management cycle including the compensation piece
- Lead a team of 24 subrogation professionals including three Team Leaders, Claims Technical Advisor, Subrogation Specialists, Subrogation Representatives and Support Staff and Triage Analysts
- Provides guidance and feedback to Team Leader, and team through continuous performance feedback loop, analyzing trends and information and taking appropriate action when necessary
Superior service to our internal and external customers
· Works closely with VP Claims, Corporate Claims Leadership, National Directors, Line Managers, Finance, Actuary, Advanced Analytics and other key stakeholder groups to implement national subrogation strategies in support of organizational objectives
· Analyze recovery data to best align team with recovery opportunity, maximize referrals, conversion and recovery rate.
· Design workflow, process, productivity metrics and procedures to maximize recoveries and achieve and exceed targets in all claims business lines.
· Adopts a continuous process improvement mentality and instils that philosophy in direct reports
· Creates culture of effective internal and external communication with key stakeholders
· Champions a collaborative approach to problem solving for win win outcomes
Achieves Business Outcomes
· Develop and maintain a clear focus on organizational goals and objectives while working within budget
· Helping business partners attract and retain business by achieving optimal recovery outcomes for the commercial and residential policyholder
· Leads the risk-based audit process for the subrogation function helping the business understand performance gaps or opportunity areas and communicating results to business partners nationally
· Adjusts team staffing and operating budget in support of business growth objectives and volume trends
· Accountable for preparation and management of annual National Subrogation Team budget
· Establish a robust expense control program
· Reviews and approves expenses to ensureexpenditures align with organizational expectations
· Maximize referral rates through use and continued development of predictive models and enhanced FNOL process mapping
· Exceed organizational recovery targets through innovative approaches to claim handling for subrogation outcomes
Communication and Networking
· Represents the company at industry events, trade organizations and with external business partners
· Develops and maintains effective interpersonal relationships with regional partners, customers, regulatory bodies and colleagues to optimize team and organizational outcomes
· Provides meaningful and timely reporting of business critical information
· Is the team liaison between business and external legal counsel
Litigation & Vendor Management
· Manager oversees handling the various external subrogation counsel (lawyers) relationships that exist across the company’s various regions and entities
· Manager develops opportunities to engage internal claims counsel for cost effective recovery solutions
· Manager provides oversight on the Subrogation Team legal referral and expense management strategy, tracks and manages the litigation plan to ensure that expenses are adequately managed in relation to recovery
· Works closely with legal vendor manager and legal partners to review billings, file quality and settlement strategy.
· Manager is also tasked with overseeing the expense impact from an allocated loss adjustment expense perspective
· Includes the overall administration of a litigation management strategy which includes a formal audit piece for each of the major legal firms used to ensure cost effective advocacy for the company and its subsidiaries
· Manager works closely with enterprise procurement and internal claims counsel on external legal sourcing to minimize expense and maximize performance
Education and subrogation awareness
· Travels regularly throughout the company’s Regions including Quebec
· Assists with the designs training materials for use with the company’sson claims professionals nationally to enhance the customer experience for our policyholders and broker partners
· Support orientation program for new employees
· Represents the insurer at RIBO accredited subrogation training
· Develops Risk Based Audits to identify trends and gaps in current claims handling protocols. Assists with the designs and facilitates training to close those identified gaps within Regional Business Units nationally endorsing a continuous improvement philosophy
· Oversees the development of training program for new hires with regards to subrogation claims handling and awareness for both personal and commercial product lines
· Participates in the development of regional training initiatives to ensure alignment with national subrogation team goals and objectives
· Creates a culture that values the subrogation function through training and awareness initiatives.
What do you bring to the role?
· Typically those who work in this role have a 3 or 4 year bachelor’s degree in any discipline or a minimum of a two year college diploma in an acceptable discipline to the company’s Continuing education in the form of the Chartered Insurance Professional or Fellowship designations
· 5-7 years as a property and auto claims representative handling progressively more challenging losses with experience in handling subrogation losses within the last 5 years. Multi line exposure to AB and BI/Casualty is an asset for the role. Exposure to litigation handling process, coupled with strategic claims handling and risk assessment is required for the role. The role requires a tangible understanding of commercial and personal lines, auto and property wordings.
· Further experience as a Technical Advisor or similar Analyst position providing technical oversight, direction and coaching to and in support of the claims function is an asset. Persuasive written and verbal communication ability, pragmatism, along with the ability to present material in front of a large and varied audience are assets
· Excellent interpersonal skills coupled with the ability to multi-task and work in a constantly changing environment is required for this role
5 - 7 + years in a Leadership capacity, coaching and mentoring new and experienced staff. Experience with the Performance Management cycle and the hiring process.
DGA Careers has been proudly serving the Canadian insurance industry for over 30 years, specializing in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. With offices in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary, DGA Careers is well positioned to conduct searches with a national scope. Our unrivalled professional network across Canada provides us with the ability to reach vital key influencers and passive candidates nationally.
Interested candidates please contact Antonella Leone via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 647-624-9609. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position.