As a property and casualty insurance specialist for more than 100 years, Saskatchewan Mutual Insurance Company (SMI) seeks opportunities to be the preferred insurance carrier. At SMI, we not only celebrate people, but we are driven by a relentless need to build personal connections resulting in exceptional customer experiences. Join a team that strives to become a beacon of hope in times where people need us the most.
We are very excited to be growing our SMI family. We are on the search for a newly created, permanent, full-time position of Manager, Broker Services. Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Marketing, the successful candidate will be the driving force behind sales and business development programs. They will be responsible for winning broker loyalty through exploring new ideas that create growth and simplify the broker experience. The Manager, Broker Services serves as a member of the management team; provides leadership, coaching and direction to staff; and contributes to the development of corporate strategy and future planning.
As Manager, Broker Services YOU Will Be Responsible For:
- Creating and executing dynamic sales and business development strategies and programs to support the strategic direction of the Company, leading the sales and business development functions through understanding of the values, challenges and needs of the broker and policyholder.
- Managing the Marketing Representatives and Administrative Assistant in a manner that builds and develops a high functioning team; overseeing training requirements, providing support in recruiting, work assignments, professional development and performance management; ensuring consistent messaging in support of the Company’s marketing and underwriting strategies.
- Reviewing and analyzing quarterly broker results. Recommending to the AVP, Marketing any follow-up actions that may be required. Ensuring brokers are supporting SMI in the classes of business needed to obtain their target mix. Calculating annual contingent profit and administers the collection of all overdue agency accounts.
- Reviewing and recommending to the AVP, Marketing the appointment and cancellation of brokers as well as agency license sponsorship requests. Auditing broker licenses to verify they are compliant with the provincial licensing requirements.
- Collaborating with the Manager, Marketing by proactively sharing best practices to identify creative opportunities, develop and execute marketing initiatives, including marketing communication plans, positioning strategies, marketing material design, campaigns, and event support.
- Ensuring on-going marketplace research, supporting the Company’s product development strategies.
- Incorporating design thinking into broker relations including empathy, broker and policyholder needs, collaboration, and testing new ideas with stakeholders.
- Reimagining the broker and policyholder experience in relation to the Company’s products and services.
- Participating in strategic planning for the Company.
- Developing personal credibility with key brokers, stakeholders and customers, representing the Company at industry functions, and organizing and leading broker advisory meetings.
- Acting as a role model who supports a positive organization culture.
What We Need From YOU!
- A university degree in a relevant subject matter, or a Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP) designation, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five (5) or more years related experience in the property and casualty insurance industry, coupled with three (3) or more years of demonstrated experience leading and managing high performance teams.
- Excellent communication, writing and editing skills.
- A strong understanding of business development best practices and proven ability to translate vision into action. A general understanding of insurance distribution channels along with the ability to build strong relationships with brokers and other stakeholders.
- A general understanding of how underwriting profitability impacts overall corporate results and capital requirements. The ability to understand and interpret financial statements and participate in the business planning process.
- General knowledge of insurance underwriting, claims and reinsurance is an asset.
- Ability to visualize, articulate, conceptualize or solve problems by making decisions that are logical and reasonable given the available information.
- Detail oriented with a commitment to innovation.
- Project management and coordinating skills with the proven ability to handle multiple tasks and make decisions in a rapidly changing environment. Able to set priorities for self and overall department by creating a focus, eliminating roadblocks and knowing what will help or hinder goal accomplishment. Manages project deadlines and assigns work based on employees’ abilities and competence.
- Expert knowledge in the latest carrier and broker technology. Knowledgeable in leveraging marketing programs as part of an overall business strategy. Proficient in Microsoft Office products.
- Managerial skills including interviewing and selecting employees, providing constructive feedback, motivating, conducting performance reviews, and training and development.
- Practices a ‘hands-on’ approach when directing employees and empowers employees to be successful through training, developing and coaching. Holds people accountable by ensuring that they meet individual and organizational objectives in an appropriate manner. Monitors employee development plans and ensures alignment with department and Company goals.
Come grow your career with a company committed to putting people first. When people join SMI, they are here to stay! At SMI, we take pride in caring for our employees as it is the collaborative efforts of our entire team which will allow us to continue to remain successful today and into the future.
This position offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, a fun and inclusive work environment, professional development opportunities and the potential for further advancement within the company.
HOW TO APPLY
SMI is doing amazing things and we want YOU to be part of our team and continued success! If this sounds like the opportunity for YOU, we want to hear from YOU!
Please submit an electronic copy of your cover letter and resume with Manager, Broker Services in the subject line to:
Saskatchewan Mutual Insurance Company
279 3rd Avenue North
SASKATOON SK S7K 2H8
Confidential Fax: (306) 653-3542
The posting will remain open until the position is filled. SMI thanks all interested candidates; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.