JOB TITLE: INSURANCE CLAIMS ADJUSTER
DEPARTMENT: LEGISLATIVE SERVICES
POSTING NUMBER: 105481
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
JOB STATUS & DURATION: Full Time Permanent
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hour workweek
LOCATION: Hybrid Model – when working onsite, you will report to the location of West Tower.
SALARY GRADE: 12
SALARY RANGE: 1ST STEP: $87,960.60 per annum
2ND STEP: $92,601.60 per annum
JOB RATE: $97,479.20 per annum
JOB TYPE: Union
POSTING DATE: July 26, 2023
CLOSING DATE: August 10, 2023
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Risk & Insurance, perform investigations of claims made against the City that are within the self-insured portion of the City’s insurance coverage, including interviewing the claimant and any witnesses, consulting with police, obtaining hospital/medical records; inspecting property damage to determine extent of the City’s liability; and negotiating with claimants for successful settlement of the claim. Provides guidance and direction to Insurance Claims Analyst and Insurance Claims Coordinator.
- Conduct and oversee investigations to reported claims for the purpose of prompt and equitable settlement of claims within prescribed authority.
- Analysis of all pertinent information and evidence from doctors, employers, health service providers, solicitors and other relevant sources.
- Consult with the public and their solicitors, police and insurance professionals regarding liability on behalf of the City of Brampton.
- Gather and analyze data collected on investigation and prepare reports with recommendations.
- Liaise and consult with internal and external legal staff, with external claims adjuster and risk management professionals.
- Participate in legal proceedings, hearings, mediations, arbitrations, discoveries, inquests and trials including testifying, if necessary.
- Review policies, administrative practices and procedures and make appropriate recommendations to improve implementation of claims practices, delivery of service, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Assist in providing advice on risk management and insurance issues throughout the City including assisting in the development and presentation of claims investigative training sessions.
- Additional similar and related duties as assigned.
- Equivalent to University Graduation with additional specialized courses (Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or equivalent).
- Over four years, up to including 8 years claims examining experience, preferably in a municipal environment.
- Must possess a Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) or Canadian Risk Management (CRM) designation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of tort litigation and working knowledge of the current laws and regulations pertaining to insurance claims management.
- Solid knowledge of the insurance industry and claims practices.
- Good understanding of risk management fundamentals.
- Must be computer literate.
- Demonstrated analytical, strategic decision-making and negotiation skills necessary to value and settle claims.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written communication skills.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
Interview: Our recruitment process may be completed with video conference technology.