Title: CGL Underwriter
Location: Toronto OR Calgary (hybrid)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as an Underwriter in managing the workflow of a developing Commercial General Liability practice, with limited responsibility for other lines of business as well, where there are compatible needs.
- Adhere to our underwriting contracts, demonstrating good judgement in building a profitable book of CGL business.
- Adhere to internal standards of quality, demonstrating coherent logic and decision-making in risk selection and pricing throughout the conduct of underwriting new and renewal business.
- Manage the renewal process of a CGL book of business, communicating with brokers to facilitate a smooth renewal process.
- Work interactively as a team member, balancing scarce resources with our customer service targets.
- Manage invoicing and billing processes on your own work as required, with contribution to the team effort.
- Manage endorsements, certificates, inspections and other work items tangential to the placement of the core policy (with some support).
- Supports business strategies to effectively achieve profit and growth objectives through sound underwriting and responsible marketing.
- Support strategic business plans designed to increase the presence of the business group in the market; retain the appropriate mix of business; and achieve overall growth and profit objectives.
- Make recommendations to product line and business unit management on process improvement, product development and marketing objectives and participate in their fulfillment
- Develops and maintains broker relationships to reach positive outcomes.
- Act as a resource for more junior underwriters and for non-CGL Underwriters exposed to CGL underwriting.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma.
- CIP designation or working towards.
- 3+ years of CGL underwriting experience.
- Knowledge of CGL Lines risks, classification and coverage options. Demonstrated ability to interpret and analyze data and make an informed, calculated risk decision.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast- paced environment.
- Strong problem solving, reasoning, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and written/oral communication skills. Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks while meeting established deadlines. Ability to demonstrate planning and organizational skills.
- Proven team player and energetic personality.
DGA Careers has been proudly serving the Canadian insurance industry for over 30 years, specializing in providing insurance recruiting services to major insurers, insurance brokerage firms and independent adjusting firms. With offices in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, and Calgary, DGA Careers is well positioned to conduct searches with a national scope. Our unrivalled professional network across Canada provides us with the ability to reach vital key influencers and passive candidates nationally.
Interested candidates please contact Maurice Reichberg at 416-868-6711 x.232 or forward your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position.