As a Professional Lines Claims Specialist, you will manage a portfolio of professional liability insurance claims for our architectural clients. An advocate for the architectural profession, you will be responsible for providing policy-holders with a rigorous defence, while ensuring prudent and effective cost containment and oversight.
Reporting to the Vice President, Claims & Legal and working as part of an integrated team, you will:
- Assess coverage: Analyze relevant policies to determine coverage available. Identify the allegations and assess coverage to determine the extent to which coverage may apply to the claim.
- Investigate: Research, gather and analyze documentation in relation to the claim, including: interviews, evidence, expert reports, legal pleadings, building codes, construction products and building systems.
- Evaluate liability and damages: Working with internal and external experts, assess the extent of potential liability and damage.
- Financial management: Maintain accurate and timely reserves based on best available information, actively and effectively mitigate and manage costs and expenses.
- Engage and oversee experts: Engage internal and external professionals and other consultants to support effective and timely claim resolution, including architects, engineers and internal and external counsel.
- Mediate, Negotiate & Settle: Within company policies and guidelines, including authority statements, you will identify potential litigation and non-litigation strategies and determine the best course of action. You will support the full claims lifecycle including mediations, pre-trial conferences and other procedures, negotiations and settlements required to bring the claim to resolution.
- Document: Maintain a full and complete chronology of events for each claim.
- Other duties as assigned.
Your key daily interactions will include:
- Colleagues on the Claims & Legal team;
- Architectural firms and employees;
- Internal and external experts and consultants;
- Internal and external lawyers;
- Third party insurance adjusters.
You are an experienced, results-focused professional with the empathy, intelligence, and drive to help our clients through a sometimes-lengthy claims process. You are active in your profession and likely to be a member of the Chartered Insurance Professional Society (CIP or FCIP). You bring:
- 10+ years work experience in managing professional liability insurance claims (a focus on construction related liability would be an asset);
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited university;
- Exceptional analytical, critical and strategic-thinking skills;
- Very strong administrative, time management and organizational skills;
- Proactive problem-solving capacity, finding creative solutions to meet the objective;
- Shrewd negotiating capabilities;
- Effective relationship management, establishing trust, using discretion and acting professionally, to maintain effective working relationships;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication, and
- Strong proficiency in basic office software (Office 365 or equivalent).
Interested candidates please contact Daher Hassan at 416-868-6711 x.224 or forward your resume in confidence to Daher@dgacareers.com. If you are working with another DGA recruiter, feel free to ask them about this position