Play a key role with the Ministry of Public and Business Service Delivery in this opportunity in the Risk Management and Insurance Services Branch. You will bring your commercial insurance knowledge and risk management advisory skills and expertise to provide professional insurance procurement and risk management advice and support to Ontario Public Service (OPS) ministries and agencies.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-public-service-anti-racism-policy > and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint < https://www.ontario.ca/page/ops-inclusion-diversity-blueprint > pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code < http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/ontario-human-rights-code >. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Lead effective management of the OPS insurance portfolio
• Develop specifications for insurance coverage and work with the OPS vendors to place coverage on the most advantageous terms
• Review indemnification and insurance clauses, and advise on, and recommend, risk mitigation and risk transfer methods and strategies
• Assist in the development and implementation of projects related to insurance acquisition
• Recommend the coverage lines and dollar limits for insurance to be included in vendor agreements
• Analyze data for claims handled by insurers, including loss ratio analysis
• Provide risk management advice on new policies, programs and legislation
How do I qualify?
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
- You have knowledge of the Canadian Property and Casualty Insurance market to develop specifications for insurance coverage requirements
- You have knowledge of principles and practices of insurance contracts, including rating procedures, loss prevention strategies, marketing of risk, preparation of insurance applications and claims summary analysis
- You have knowledge of government legislation and directives such as the Insurance Act, the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act, the Proceedings Against the Crown Act and the Public Transportation and Highway Improvement Act
Risk Management and Financial Skills:
- You have knowledge of risk management principles and practices to advise client ministries on management of risks in the development of their procurement projects, transfer payment agreements and program development initiatives
- You have knowledge of financial, legal and technical aspects of business and the insurance industry on managing insurance costs and exposure to uninsured claims and liabilities
- You can develop risk management advice, including options and solutions
Communication and Analytical Skills:
- You have communication skills to prepare reports and presentations to stakeholders and liaise with insurance brokers, insurers and legal counsel
- You have advisory and facilitation skills to work with stakeholders on risk management and insurance coverage
- You have negotiation skills to negotiate insurance terms with brokers
- You have presentation skills
Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills:
- You can identify and prioritize work that needs to be managed concurrently and ensure that deadlines are met
- You can analyze cost values of the various insurance programs, based on available loss and underwriting data, and provide reports
- You have proficiency in computer programs to maintain policy databases and prepare reports and presentations, perform data analysis and carry out written communication
Salary Range: $70,820 - $102,046 Per Year
- 1 English Permanent, 222 Jarvis St, Toronto, Toronto Region
- The information that you provide for the purpose of this competition and the results from this competition may be used to fill other positions. These positions may be of various tenures, including short-term assignments. Your information and the results from this competition will be retained for the purpose of filling vacancies in accordance with the applicable collective agreement or policy provisions.
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 204387, by Tuesday, November 7, 2023. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.