Blue Cross Life Insurance Company of Canada is a federally licensed company that distributes its products through a network of Blue Cross Plans. Blue Cross Life specializes in life insurance, living benefits and disability income protection products to supplement and enhance the portfolio of health and dental products distributed by the Blue Cross Plans.
Our employees are the key component in enabling us to deliver competitive life and disability products nationally; we value their knowledge and integrity and are dedicated to their professional development by providing an environment of continuous learning and growth. We seek creative problem solvers who care about the work they do while helping to drive responsiveness and insight throughout our organization.
If you are looking for an opportunity in a challenging, fast-paced, and collaborative work environment, the career you have been looking for may be waiting for you at Blue Cross Life.
We provide a work environment where people are respected and fulfilled both professionally and personally through healthy relationships, work-life balance and meaningful work. Our small size gives employees the opportunity to work on a multitude of projects across several functions. And because we’re in the insurance business – we offer paid benefits and perks to keep you at your very best!
As a Senior Group Underwriter, no two days will look the same. You’ll have the opportunity to play a significant role in ensuring the company is growing and profitable by liaising with various regional underwriting teams across Canada. You’ll need strong business acumen and a love for data/analytics because you’ll be partnering with members of the Actuarial, Data Management, Administration and Finance Teams at Blue Cross Life.
- Provide case oversight and value-added advice on all aspects of underwriting in the regional Blue Cross plans, primarily on large complex accounts, including the following areas:
- Review of rating for new business quotes, including providing guidance for underwriting questions as they arise.
- Review of renewal pricing, including analysis of experience/trend to justify the reasons behind the renewal and to recommend pricing alternatives.
- Review financial statements for ASO and refund groups in accordance with the financial agreements.
- Draft and update financial agreements.
- Interface with the reinsurers on quotes for non-standard groups.
- Assist the Shareholder Blue Cross plans in responding to client inquiries regarding a group product, underwriting or marketing issue that falls outside of the standard guidelines and administrative procedures.
- Coach, mentor and train underwriting team members of the regional Blue Cross plans.
- Assist the Blue Cross Life Underwriting team in keeping the Group Underwriting Manual up to date, and providing additional support as needed to the Shareholder Blue Cross plan underwriting teams.
- Participate in various projects as they may arise from time to time, related to product development, technology changes, etc.
- At least 8 years experience in a group insurance underwriting or pricing role. We can consider multiple backgrounds, but you must demonstrate your knowledge of group insurance products and underwriting/pricing, as well as an ability to analyze, collaborate, automate, and improve processes where possible.
- University degree or equivalent in a quantitative discipline (i.e., Actuarial Science, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Operations Research or Engineering).
- English is a requirement. Bilingualism (FR/EN) is considered an asset.